• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Austin Healey 100 S

Jonny1

Freshman Member
I am restoring a 1956 100 4 that came with a 100 S
front shroud. I have located a couple of 100 4 shrouds but am thinking that making a 100S replica might be fun. Does anyone know a source for a 100S grill? I located a company in England,
www.ahead4healeys.co.uk, that would be glad to sell me one for the equivalent of $1200.00.

Looking at the 100 6 lower grill and buying 2, welding them together and rounding the ends, buying a 3000 grill (up & down slates),I might come very close to the original design. Any thoughts?

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hello jonny1 and welcome to the Forum. Having an original 100S shroud is very rare indeed. I know of someone who recently had a 100/4 restored as a 100/S continuation and it is absolutely beautiful, however it is very expensive to do correctly. Mark Baker did the complete restoration and he may know of a source for the grill.
Mark Baker AH restoration

Good luck with your project.

OP
J

Jonny1

Freshman Member
Thanks for the heads up Johnny. I started my file for dark blue seats with 3 air slits, white piping, right hand drive conversion, right hand drive dashboard, Aston Martin Flip Gas Cap, etc.

I really appreciate the Mark Baker website!! Thanks a lot for your help,

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Yes, Steve Pike would be a good source of parts and information and he is a real gentleman. In an upcoming article in Healey Marque I wrote a bit about the history of the 100S and listed many of the changes as compared to a 100. The two biggest visible mechanical differences are the four wheel disc brakes with very hard to find Dunlop calipers and the engine, particularly the cylinder head, manifolds and carbs.

Johnny, you may find that your 100S front shroud is worth enough to finance some of your restoration if you decide to sell it and restore your car to original specs. I'd try advertising it and e-baying it before I made up my mind about which way to go on this.

OP
J

Jonny1

Freshman Member
Thank you legal Bill & AH3000Mk3 for your help and your guidance. I must clarify
for the record that I have no proof nor would I ever claim that this is a real 100 S shroud and therefore would not try to sell it as one. I am just happy to have it come with this 1956 Healey I bought that was covered for 30 years in a Lake Havasue,Arizona garage with no rust in any of the panels for $5000.00. Does this answer your question Editor Reed?

OP
J

Jonny1

Freshman Member
Hello Legal Bill,

Thanks for your suggestion but I must tell you that I never used the word "Real
100 S shroud". I wish I could go back and use the word Replica 100 S Shroud in my first post.

Apparently I got some people very excited by not clarifying my car.

I enjoyed your comments very much though. Thanks for your interest.

OP
J

Jonny1

Freshman Member
Editor Reed,

I must apologize for misleading the troops. I will be more careful when refering
to a 100 S and will use the word Replica 100 S from now on.

I love this site and the comments of your members will help me recreate a nice 100S Replica.

By the way, excellent looking Healey you have.

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
No worries. I was just afraid that you were thinking that you had an actual 100S shroud when you actually had a shroud from a six-cylinder big Healey.

Please consider documenting your creation of a replica 100S with words and photos for HEALEY MARQUE magazine. I'd love to publish such a story with details of where you obtained the parts needed.

Looking forward to your participation here, and good luck with your project.

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Jonny1 said:
Editor Reed,

By the way, excellent looking Healey you have.

Thanks.

Steve Pike did the assembly, but here in Oregon, not in Australia. Since I took that photo I have added repro 1950s vintage center-lock Dunlop racing wheels with Avon CR6-ZZ tires (those tries were Steve Pike's recommendation), and it looks fabulous. Those wheels are also much stronger and MUCH easier to clean than wire wheels.

I must get busy and get some good photos to post.

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey Jonny,
You can get a 100S "unpainted" grill from AH Spares in UK for 745 pounds. Assume the real ones were plated but don't know either way !
Good luck with your project,
Mike

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
In addition to the oval grill opening, doesn't a 100S shroud have a hood opening like a 100, and not like a 6-cylinder?

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
John Turney said:
In addition to the oval grill opening, doesn't a 100S shroud have a hood opening like a 100, and not like a 6-cylinder?

Not exactly sure what you mean. There's a <span style="font-style: italic">bonnet</span> opening on the six-cylinder cars, and none on the four-bangers.

OP
J

Jonny1

Freshman Member
Hello All,

John Turney has it right. The main reason I think it is 100 S Replica Shroud is the fact that it has a hood for a 100 4 with louvers and a hood strap between the fourth and fifth louvers. This hood is almost a rectangle. The 100 6 on had an elongated hood. The length between the front of the hood and the top of the oval grill opening is 14".

Has anybody seen a 100 4 shroud with an oval opening? That was my thinking. The other reason is the fellow that sold me the car said his deceased dad was making a 100 S out of a 100 4 but he was too young at the time to retain any info and I received no documentation or proof of anything else.

A Big thanks to Johnny (I am Jonny1) and AH3000Mk3,Bighealeysource for turning me on to AH Spares in the UK for that better priced 100 S Grill.

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Jonny 1, if you're a member of the AHCA the January and February issues include the story of the 100/4 to 100/S conversion I was talking about, be sure and check it out. I was very sorry to hear about Mark Baker's passing Reid, he was a true AH enthusiast..

OP
J

Jonny1

Freshman Member
Thanks Johnny for that great info. This site is sending me in all the tight directions. All the help is much appreciated. You have a beautiful Healey. Is that a 100 6 or a 3000?

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Johnny said:
I was very sorry to hear about Mark Baker's passing Reid, he was a true AH enthusiast..

Mark was a relatively unknown Healey restorer and craftsman - I'd even call him an artist in the field. He didn't advertise much and therefore wasn't widely known very far outside of his home base in Illinois, but I saw some of his cars and they are show-stoppers. I was particularly smitten with his "100/R" - a rally concept car:

100/R Concept Car

We've lost a valuable ally and a great friend of the marque.

OP
J

Jonny1

Freshman Member
Correction,
Can't count louvers. The hood of this 100-4 has a space between the 6th and 7th
louver for the hood strap.