• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Anyone running 6" wires on TR3??

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
The post about the rusted wire wheel got me to thinking. I'll probably replace the wires on my resto job with new ones, but I'd like to go wider. I'd like to get some 185 rubber on there. I'm pretty sure that the 5 1/2" wire with that size rubber will work, but that size is only available in the Dunlops...Dayton has a 6" size. I've read that the Dunlops are not the ones to get, and that the Daytons are far superior. Is this true, and if so, will the 6" wheels with 185 rubber fit and not hit the fenders??

SpannerMan

Jedi Trainee
I can only speak in general terms on Dayton wire wheels. I got a set of the painted 72 spoke TR6 wheels about 6 years ago. They seem to be well built, but the paint finish was disappointing. I had to keep the car outside at that time, and it was pretty clear the coverage just wasn't very good- they seemed to have built the wheel and then shot it from the inside and outside of the wheel, which doesn't get paint on the spoke crossings etc. Rust started to show up pretty quickly. If the car is kept inside and rarely run in the weather it's not going to be much of an issue, plus they may be doing something better with the finish now. If you get chrome that's a whole different thing too of course. For the record, I did take it up with the company and they were nice about it and reshot them for me, but the problem started to crop back up pretty quickly. The car is indoors now so it's not an ongoing issue. One day I will get them stripped and painted again. Pete

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi Martx-5,

I don't have a TR3 (yet) but am fairly certain 6" wheels would be a problem on a stock TR3, particularly with wire wheels that will give a slightly wider track once the adapters are fitted to the car. 5.5" might work, but even those could be a too wide on certain cars. I have 5.5" alloys on my TR4 and those leave little room to spare.

There is some difference from one TR3 to the next, since the cars were essentially hand built. So, wider wheels might fit on one car, but not the next. So, unforunately, the only way you can tell for certain is to test fit a wheel and tire combination and see if it has clearance. A local tire & wheel store might work with you, but a catalog/mail order place likely won't allow returns on wheels after tires have been fitted. Maybe there are some other Triumph owners in your area, who have various tires and wheel combinations and would be willing to let you test fit one on your car?

Also, I believe a 6" wheel is a bit of overkill for a 185 tire. I'd think 5" wheels might be adequate, and are more likely to fit the car okay, if you can find a set of those instead. (Tire manufacturer websites often provide wheel width requirements).

Let us know what you find out.

OP
martx-5

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
OK, sometimes I get brain fade. I looked in Roger Williams book (How To Improve Triumph TR2-4A) and he says that the six inch wires will not fit the sidescreen cars. So that leaves me with the Dunlop 5.5" wheels or possibly the Dayton wheel which is available in 5" diameter to fit the TR's. I've heard lots a bad stuff about the Dunlops, but I find it hard to believe that they would still be selling them if they we so cruddy. What's the real story on them, and are the Daytons the better wheel??

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Don't forget to try one in the spare wheel compartment. I have a tight fit with 165 SR 15 on an original steel rim. Your spare may need to be smaller than the 4 on the corners.

Bob_Muzio

Jedi Trainee
FWIW the knock that I've heard on the Dunlops is on their chrome wire wheels. Dunlop chromes the spokes which weakens them and I understand the product is manufactured in India. The Dayton chrome wires use stainless steel spokes and from what I've expeienced myself, and heard from both Tr and Jag owners they're a good product.
Bob

OP
martx-5

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Don't forget to try one in the spare wheel compartment. I have a tight fit with 165 SR 15 on an original steel rim. Your spare may need to be smaller than the 4 on the corners.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, the spare will have to be one of the 165's with the skinnier wheel. Most cars today have "space saver" spares anyway.

I'll most likely go with the 5" Daytons.

D

DougF

There is also a chrome wire that was marketed as being manufactured in England. I purchased a set of these ten years ago. Within 400 miles, the chrome was chipping at rim/spoke joint. After several months of communication with the supplier, I returned them for Daytons and have been very pleased since.
During the winter months in an unheated garage, I spray the wheels down with a silicone based spray to help prevent rust. This also gives you motivation in the Spring to give them their one detailed cleaning for the year.

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
Like Alan I have 5.5 inch wheels on my TR4a, 72 spoke Dunlops in my case, painted, and with 196/60/15 tyres. I think a 185/65 size would be closer to the correct dimensions but I am not concerned about speedometer accuracy, and like the very slightly lower stance of the car, and possibly slightly better acceleration.

My wheels were bought 8 or 9 years ago, and came from "MWS" which may stand for Middlesex Wheel Services or something similar. I have had no probles at all with them in use, though one of the four I recieved initially was out of true and was exchanged without difficulty by the supplies.

Don is right that you will need a standard size spare unless you plan to keep it somewhere else!
Simon.

Adrio

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don,
Can you fit the 165 SR 15 in the cubby when it is inflated? I have been keeping an old worn out 155 in there. But I would much prefer having a new 165 that matches the others.

OP
martx-5

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
My understanding of this is that the post 60,000 cars is wider in the spare tire cavity then the earlier cars. The opening is the same, but the trunk floor bellys up a little, whereas as the earlier floors were flat. I can fit a 165 in mine when inflated, but it is snug. The original body on my car was 23,xxx, and I couldn't get a 165 in there.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
FWIW the knock that I've heard on the Dunlops is on their chrome wire wheels. Dunlop chromes the spokes which weakens them and I understand the product is manufactured in India. The Dayton chrome wires use stainless steel spokes...

[/ QUOTE ]According to the British Wire Wheel web site, most Dunlop chrome wheels now also use stainless steel spokes. Beyond that, most of the "knocks" I've heard about Dunlop wire wheels seem to come from vendors who are trying to sell Daytons. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Yes, many if not all of the Dunlop wheels now come from India, where they are built under Dunlop license. And yes, perhaps some are delivered still requiring a bit of "truing"! But that's been the case probably since wire wheels were invented; it's the nature of the design.

As often as not, I think wire wheels by themselves get the same undeserved bad reputation as do older British cars in general and for the same basic reason: some maintenance IS required. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Tosh

Jedi Trainee
My 2¢ worth,
Have been running 15in. (w/165x15 Dunlop tubed tires) painted wire Dunlops on my BGT since the early 90's. I think they are 5 in. wide. They were much cheaper than the Daytons, still are I guess. Likely made in India. This car has around 20,000 mile since these wheels and tires were installed.
Never been trued, still the same tires. They have performed well. The finish looks like new.
One difference I noticed from stock, however, was the offset. The Dunlops have, in this application, greater negative offset causing the wheel to set farther out on the axle. It is minor but it is there. Tosh

Bob_Muzio

Jedi Trainee
Tosh, and anyone else for that matter, how comfortable are you driving with 10 year old tires? There's been discussion that although the outsides might look fine the deterioration , unseen on the inside, is what will bite you.
Bob

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Just to add my experience... I have had Dunlop wheels for about 6 years and they still look new & round. As Andy noted, the source of the criticism seems to be the vendor who features Daytons. These are the 60-spoke painted wires.

As for old tires -- 10 years would be pushing your luck. Having seen what sudden failure of an old tire can do to a fine car I consider replacing them based on age (rather than tread wear) to be only prudent. I have heard that cracks in the bottom of the tread grooves are a particularly bad sign.

Tosh

Jedi Trainee
Bob M,
[ QUOTE ]
how comfortable are you driving with 10 year old tires?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not too. Not recommended.
Tosh