• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Stag Anyone know this Stag?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
FYI, I wouldn't trust the "5 speed" part. That appears to be an original Stag non-overdrive shift knob, which is kind of rare in the US. Someone might have added OD, but then where'd they put the switch?

Otherwise, it does look nice.

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'd be tempted too, though I've read that the early Stags had their share of problems this one appears to be a later one. "Rust Free" is a mythical state, but all LBC people know that. Offer 3,500 and see what they say. There were only shy of 3,000 Stags brought to this country, so you for sure won't see yourself coming and going.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Dale said:
I'd be tempted too, though I've read that the early Stags had their share of problems this one appears to be a later one.
72 was kind of a "crossover" year for US-spec Stags. It has the later cooling system, which is a definite advantage (though I can't tell if the fan shroud is in place or not).

Also looks like it had AC originally, but the gap around the controls probably means it doesn't work (maybe not the heater either).

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Hi guys - thanks for the input. 5 speed = seller doesn't know his car, and that makes the other claims potentially dubious. Looks fully priced + some to me based on that, yet...

Did these use a D-type OD?

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Unless I missed it, the ad doesn't even state if it runs. Its at a used car lot. I wouldn't even offer $3000 unless I could crawl around under it and start it. But I'm a cheap old buzzard.

DanB

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Utah is a long way to go, but it could really be rust free if it has been out there all its life. Anybody on here near Bountiful that could go check it out?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Could also have been converted to a J-type. I converted LE1473L myself, and it wasn't too hard. Especially since the seller was kind enough to include the rear crossmember.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Don't know much about Stags (okay, I know nothing about Stags), but I'm only about an hour from where that car is if you got serious. Be happy to help if I can. Our local club is good too, and I could put out feelers there as well with the Triumph guys. PM if needed...

Also, do keep in mind that rust free here is only true if the car is never driven in the winter -- they salt the bejeezus out of the roads here (literally turns my black car grey in the winter).

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
And the bulge in the hood.

jclay

OK, the first car has mag wheels, which would indicate that it is a MkII, However it has the hole in the glove box lid for a map light, Used in the MkI cars. You would have to check the gauges to make sure, pointy gauge needles; MKI, blunt needles, MKII.

I bought one about two months ago. Started every time I looked at it, ran well, looked great! Since I bought it, I have had to have it hauled home three times, bought $2,500 in parts and have $1500 more to go. I want to drive it to VTR SC Regionals this year. Lookout AAA, here I come!

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
I think that Seattle car has the decimal point in the wrong place.

Keep at it Clay.

Drew - I'm 1/2 serious, let me talk to the seller this week before I ask for any help. Appreciate the offer Drew. Sold my Bugeye to a good home BTW.