• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Aluminum Sump made for TR3-TR4?

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Yes. I have seen a nice finned aluminium pan on a TR3 engine before, but it was a period accessory. I don't have the slightest idea who made them. I bet someone here knows.

G

Rimmer Brothers in UK sells a nice one. Saw one at recent car show. You gotta dig deep. Close to five bills with shipping.

Remember to put the plug in when filling. (see other post)

Bill

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
The fins extend the length of the bottom of the oil pan so they are in the path of the cooling air as the car moves forward. The fins also protrude below the bottom of the frame cross members to be in the cooling air. If you drive on rough or rocky roads or if you have high curbs (kerbs) where you live, you will have to be very careful not to knock the fins off.

Don Elliott

markctr3

The Roadster Factory offers one in an older catalog that I have. Part No. 502126 - $379.00. Their phone number is 800 234-1104. Good luck.

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi,

TRF might get one of these, but I'm sure it will cost more than $379 now. The last price I saw was over $500. I had ordered one from them, but it was a four or five *year* backorder! I'm not kidding, unfortunately.

Instead you might want to try Ken Gillanders at British Frame and Engine (www.britishframeandengine.com). Might be only a little bit cheaper, but more importantly he can usually get the part to you in a reasonable time.

I believe he offers a choice of four different sumps:

You can get the deeper sump, which is most similar to the factory option, and I think is what was described above. This is probably the best one to improve cooling, but more vulnerable because it hangs below the frame rails.

Or, there is a short "race" sump that is better for ground clearance and less exposed. It sits about flush with the frame rails and would be my personal choice.

And, I think either of those models can be bought in black or natural cast aluminum finishes.

The short "race" sump requires a bit of modification to the oil pump, but everything necessary is included with the kit.

I believe all the alloy sumps come with windage trays.

The aluminum itself will transfer heat better than steel, but overall the thicker walls don't make for a great deal of improved cooling. I think the primary improvements will be a more rigid bottom end and better sealing.

If your goal is better cooling without fans and/or oil cooler, or to supplement those accessories, Revington TR sells a modified steel sump that has tubes installed lengthwise to allow airflow right through the sump pan itself and increase the exposed surface area for heat exhange. Sort of a neat idea, with less "to go wrong" than might be the case with an external oil cooler or added electric fan. But, done right there should be matching holes cut in the frame cross member in front of the engine, to direct as much air as possible through the tubes in the sump.

p.s. I just took a look at Ken's website (link above) and notice he also offers magnesium sumps in either black or natural finish. Magnesium appears to be only be available in one size, I'm guessing the deeper version, might want to clarify that with Ken. Overall, the prices seem to be a bit lower than in the recent past, so maybe some new suppliers have come on the scene.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...If you drive on rough or rocky roads or if you have high curbs (kerbs) where you live, you will have to be very careful not to knock the fins off...

[/ QUOTE ]

Too true. The bottom of my frame will attest to the fact that speed bumps in my part of the world are not always TR-friendly. Hope I never have to remove those 2 bolts that protude down.

OP
J

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I really am looking for the sealing issue with the aluminum sump. My original has some bends in it than I have not been able to pound out. It kept the underside of the car well lubricated. I would be a little worried about a sump going below the frame. We have speed bumps around here that already scrape.

The cooling capacity would help also. I looked at the two web sites in England and they have two choices, the race or shorten model and the direct replacement that would put the fins below the frame. I think the shortened model will require a new oil pump?

By the way, the Roadster Factory is $799. That is double what the sites in England list.

Thanks for all the web sites to check. If you find more, let me know.

Jerry

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi again Jerry,

Wow! $799!

The prices on www.britishframeandengine.com look *really* good now... Heck, even the magnesium sump is shown at $440 right now, while the aluminum ones are listed at $360-400.

Assuming the bottom face of your block is in reasonably good shape, yes, the alloy sump should give better sealing. The front and rear crankshaft sealing blocks might need attention, too. At the rear of the crank, have you upgraded to the gaco or lip seal? On my TR4, the open-air crankcase breather seemed to be the primary culprit for the "British undercoating". Did it's job well, though, and kept the car pretty rust free, if a bit oily.

Besides the improved seal, the other benefits of an alloy sump would be slightly better cooling, more rigidity and strength in the bottom end, perhaps a little quieter running, and locations to add an oil temp sender.

Perhaps the #1 reason... it just looks cool!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
After shipping and possible duty you may find the prices to be much closer. Call your friendly FEDEX and ask for a quote, sit down first, it is a shock. I used the carrier chosen by the shipper because I could not find anything that would beat his costs. You may have duty on the new part. I did not have duty as the part was described as "old used auto part". I don't think anything would look better than the aluminum oil pan. If you want to seal the old pan, it looks like there are enough products to plug anything smaller than a broken levy in New Orleans.

OP
J

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Hey everybody. BritishPartsNorthwest.com carries an aluminum sump. $425 but it is not on the web site yet. This unit does not hang below the frame and does not require modificaton to the oil pump. I ordered one, and will let you know how it looks.

Jerry

OP
J

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
The sump that showed up does stick down below the frame. It also requires some grinding to fit around the oil pump. It does not appear to be a large fitting problem.

Jerry

Mychael

I had purchased a German made sump from a UK TR man.It was expensive, the quality is good, it does extend below the frame so I needed to make a guard and I /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif did need to modify it to fit around the oil pump.
It was expensive for me to get to Australia with rate of exchange etc.

Mychael

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
hey,
if it's just better sealing then why not fabricate a 1/4" or thicker steel ring to match the flange and have a good shop weld it to your pan and have them surface grind the mating surface? if you make the ring with some flat bar and or plate, it's got to be cheaper.
rob

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
or just heat with torch, straighten on heavy plate, and make backing bars 1/4" thick on the outside. longer bolts may be required for bothe suggestions
rob