• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A14/A15 engine users: What yall using for headers?

58Custom

Jedi Warrior
I recently bought an A15 and 5 speed so that is what I'm gonna go with. I am making plans and need to know what headers folks use (or start from) for their conversions. I wanna make a list and start getting the parts I need.

RickB

Yoda
Standard iron manifold here.
Try ratsun.net they will have some ideas I bet.

mrsprite

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have a Bugeye that had an A15 installed by the previous owner. The header is a hybrid......the flange and the first 1" or so is from a Datsun header and the rest is from a 1500 Midget, so it fits against the firewall without any issues.

I have a picture somewhere that I'll try to post. I have it wrapped right now, so I can't take a picture of it as it sits.

OP
58Custom

58Custom

Jedi Warrior
mrsprite said:
I have a Bugeye that had an A15 installed by the previous owner. The header is a hybrid......the flange and the first 1" or so is from a Datsun header and the rest is from a 1500 Midget, so it fits against the firewall without any issues.

I have a picture somewhere that I'll try to post. I have it wrapped right now, so I can't take a picture of it as it sits.

Sounds like a good option. I figured I would have to fab. I will start looking for a used Datsun header to provide the flange and down-tube transition.

nomad

Yoda
Tough to find something that will work. I cut apart a used MGB header and used that. I welded up a plenum on original intake manifold to use a HS6 SU carb as well for intake. Have you addressed the intake yet? Used head to do the fabbing on.

Kurt.

OP
58Custom

58Custom

Jedi Warrior
nomad said:
Tough to find something that will work. I cut apart a used MGB header and used that. I welded up a plenum on original intake manifold to use a HS6 SU carb as well for intake. Have you addressed the intake yet? Used head to do the fabbing on.

Kurt.

Oh, tasty detour, thanks for bringing it up. I have a stock 1982 intake. I have seen the Minor owner's website where he cut up a couple of them to fab a split intake for two HS2s but I was wondering about a single HS6 in a fashion you describe. I have a neighbor that can weld aluminum.

Do you have pix of your intake? Did you leave the plenum area the same or enlarge it any? How does it run? Pix of headers? Thanks!

nomad

Yoda
Oh, I have to take a bunch of pictures and figure out how to post them. Will do that and get back to you. Hope you're not in a hurry. For the intake manifold I had a used head that I kept everything bolted to during welding so that it would'nt warp out of line. On the exhaust I bolted it to the engine in the car so I could get everything lined up and tacked into place then removed it and bolted it to the spare head for final welding. Back to the intake. I used a couple of pieces of aluminum angle to build the plenum. Welded the first side of the angle to the cut off cast runners then cleaned that up with a die grinder before welding the rest of the box together. Car runs great! Ask Bill M and Rick Bastedo. HS 6 will feed 80 hp enough.

Kurt.

OP
58Custom

58Custom

Jedi Warrior
nomad said:
Oh, I have to take a bunch of pictures and figure out how to post them. Will do that and get back to you. Hope you're not in a hurry. For the intake manifold I had a used head that I kept everything bolted to during welding so that it would'nt warp out of line. On the exhaust I bolted it to the engine in the car so I could get everything lined up and tacked into place then removed it and bolted it to the spare head for final welding. Back to the intake. I used a couple of pieces of aluminum angle to build the plenum. Welded the first side of the angle to the cut off cast runners then cleaned that up with a die grinder before welding the rest of the box together. Car runs great! Ask Bill M and Rick Bastedo. HS 6 will feed 80 hp enough.

Kurt.

Great info. I have the A15 swirl port head so I will be using that to hold plates and jigs as you did. No hurry, this is a long term project.

BlueMax

Jedi Warrior
Why not take a new manifold gasket and some 3/8 flat bar for your flange stock. Then you locate a local shop that has a water jet cutter. Have him cut the flat bar stock to the gasket, they can cut with in a few thousandths of an inch. Then go by your local muffler shop and purchase U-tubing to make your exhaust port flanges, you will already have all of the angles in the U-tubes to design your down pipes too. Then you will need three of for straight peaces 36” long for the straight runners, and last some 2 ½” for your collector. You can do all the tack welding while the engine is in the car so that you won’t have any issues or interference problems. Then remove header after all tack welding is done so that you can then set the header up for proper angles for the final welding. Now you have something that fits the car perfect without having to peace mill parts from different cars. On top of it all the header will look appropriate for the car helping the engine to perform far better than a peace mill exhaust...

nomad

Yoda
Blue max: You've hit the nail on the head with the proper way to build a exhaust header. I, however don't have access to all those goodies. The mgb used header I used cost me 50 bucks on flea bay and will flow as nicely as the one you propose. A list of custom header parts suppliers would be great as well as someone that will set up a water jet cutter to cut the header flange. BTW the friend that did the TIG work on the intake has one that, I believe, would require some more of his valuable time that I did'nt care to ask for. I can TIG weld as well but don't currently have the equipment. The rest of the welding and fab work I did myself and want to warn anyone toying with such ideas that you should budget a lot more time than first guess suggest's. As for cost I have less in the whole swap than the kit to fit a datsun 5sp behind a A series except for encountering a thrust surface on the crank that required rebuilding with weld. Fitted rings and inserts as well. Also better head.

Kurt.