• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

65 BJ8 on the Barret jackson auction

Ed_K

Jedi Knight
It sold for 52 K and the passenger door doesn't open and close without sticking ??? I guess they all have more $$$$ than sense /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
If you have enough dollars, you don't need much sense.
D

ed k,i wouldnt mind very much if price-wise these things (healeys) go the way of the "mid year" vettes,what the heck my "numbers match"! thanks again BARRET JACKSON, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...what the heck my "numbers match"! thanks again BARRET JACKSON

[/ QUOTE ]

In the "Healey world," a "numbers matching" car is one that has its original major components, and the numbers on those components therefore match the numbers from the original production records, as listed on the BMIHT Certificate. (It doesn't mean that the numbers match each other.)

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well Reid, that is generally true for any marque.However, there is a small fly in the ointment.Some cars around 1965 suffered engine failures while still in warranty.The dealers replaced these engines with new and they carry their own engine number rather than the engine number as built.---Fwiw---Keoke

editor reid,thank you but im fully aware of how the healey numbers are used,im just pitching fire balls at the B.J.matching number stigma,or havent you noticed what i predicted about a year ago is now happening i.e.more and more healeys for sale stating "matching numbers" like i could give a rats aseptic view! just wait guys,i bet it gets much worse,thanks again barret jackson!this weekend i watched a guy buy one of three olds concept cars on the show,the bidding was so fierce id rather have jumped into a pool of starving blue sharks after severing one of my own limbs! 3 million? come on,give a kid a heart transplant!when ya get right down to it,its nuthin but metal,plastic,and some rubber,even i have to draw the line someplace,i met a guy this summer that on a whim went out to arizona to B.J. auction,bid only 14 thou, on a totaly restored and valuable mustang that had no reserve,yup,he got it,thats what i like to hear out of that place! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Country flag
The guy in the red Farreri shirt and hat that won the Olds and a few other cars was not using his own money. He was bidding for a museum. They will get their money back dollar by dollar. Wouldn't you go there just to see the Olds now? Actually great publicity that they probably would have had to pay 3 million for. He was looking for a special big buck car not even sure what he was going to bid on when he went there.

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
The guy in the red Farreri shirt and hat that won the Olds and a few other cars ...

[/ QUOTE ]

He's still known at "the Ferrari hat guy." Due to his juvenile theatrics while bidding, he is not an "admired person." I kinda hope he's not there again this year myself.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
I guess you can look at it as either elevating the hobby or destroying it, depending on your perspective. More people in the market can make quality parts prices come down, more money in the market the finished products prices go up. As for this numbers matching concept, I get sick everytime I hear those words. Now that they are applied to about every type of vehicle out there. As if most people actually know what it means or have the ability to research and verify it. How about a numbers matching 1973 Rambler American station wagon? I'm sure someone out there has one. Just go ahead and prove him wrong. The original (and only numbers matching vehicle to my knowledge) was the Corvette, because the engine numbers of the block ARE actually the same numbers in the Vin. The numbers stamped into the engine pad on the right front of the block are the same numbers on the vin plate of my 1970 Vette. Any other numbers that are on any other component of the car are just correct for the approximate build time of the car. They can't be proven to actually be the original ones to the car. ONLY THE CORVETTE ENGINE AND BODY CAN BE MATCHED UP FOR ACTUALLY ORIGINALITY. And you don't need external papers to prove it. Both the engine block number and the Vin plate are in the car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
OH thats not new!.My 1966 250V8 Daimler did the same thing except the Numbers are stmped into the body and on the engine block not plates alone.--Keoke

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Keoke, I didn't say it was new. Just to "MY KNOWLEDGE" (which is most assuridly limited) the match of the engine number to the vehicle's VIN was the original concept of "matching numbers". To continue the arguement further, This concept of matching numbers got a broader application when vehicles of "lesser pedigree" found it necessary to bolester their own status because they wanted to be projected into a market in which the enherant nature of their mass production would not let them compete. Now the lesser has become the more and every fool has one. Please pardon my terseness. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well Vette,I am not into history either.I often say history for me began the day I bought the car and will end the day I sell it.I buy a car simply because I like it.---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif