• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

3 ltr engine BN4 to early BJ8 - dipstick markings

healey3000

Freshman Member
Country flag
Can somebody please help out with the correct dipstick marking positions (cyl. block with low tube position).
The dipstick I currently use looks correct in line with catalogue illustration, however an oil filling of only 5 ltrs (incl. new spin-on oil filter) already exceeds the max marking. It's distance from bottom end is 36 mms, the lower mark is 8 mms - the upper rubber seal is in place.
Is here something wrong ? Can a spin-on oil filter-, plus aluminium sump conversion reduce the engine's original oil capacity that much ?

Many thanks in advance.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Re: 3 ltr engine BN4 to early BJ8 - dipstick mark

The books say the original BN7 through BJ8 sump capacity should be 15.3 pints. It is not stated if this is US pints or Imperial pints. (One Imperial pint is equal to 1.2 US pints.) Assume it is 15.3 US pints. 15.3 US pints would be 7.7 quarts or 7.2 liters. About 6 liters for the earlier cars.

The objective is to have the oil level the same as originally designed, what ever that is. Certainly no higher. The BN7 through BJ8 all speced the same 15.3 pints. The earlier cars, about a pint less. Since your dipstick or it's tube may have been altered somewhere along the line you might wish to try your dipstick in a few other similar cars & compare. If your dipstick proves to be correct, you should fill no higher than it's full mark, regardless of how much oil it actually takes to get there.

My personal experience is that the spin on filter & a DW aluminum sump reduced the oil capacity by about 2.0 US quarts or roughly 2 liters. If in doubt, it would certainly be better to run a liter low than a liter too high.
D

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
HI HLY3000, a "LATE" 3000 MK3 should not have a low dipstick tube position.The dipstick when installed should have its loop handle just about even with the top of the spark plugs---Fwiw--Keoke?--TH- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Country flag
I beleive the early BJ8s have the low tube. Mine is a Phase I and has the low tube. I put white paint on the end of the tube to help me aim for it WAY down there.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
OK TH, thanks for the heads up. See my edit above.You might just measure the lenghth of that dipstick from the rubber grommet to the end and tell HLY3000 what you find,it sounds like he may have the wrong dipstick in his engine if it is an early car.--Keoke

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks for posting Alfred. I'm curious about what type and size of rubber seal is used on the dipstick. You stated; "the upper rubber seal is in place." Caught my eye. I used a common semi-hard rubber seal that is used on water faucet replacements. Of course it will fit with some persuasion but what is the correct thickness?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

OP
H

healey3000

Freshman Member
Country flag
Johnny,
the (old) seal which is currently fitted is ca 4 mm thick. No idea whether this is correct or not.
My next parts order will include a new one so I'll find out.

Best regards

Country flag
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you but I was away form the Healey. I measured the dip stick on my '64 phase 1 and it is 31 centimeters from metal stop to tip (1'3/16"). The seal seems to be 2.5 centimeters (Moss replacement).

OP
H

healey3000

Freshman Member
Country flag
TH - great, many thanks. This compares to 30 cm on my dip stick.
Despite having an early level cyl. block (with low tube) on my car and a matching dipstick that looks in line with catalogue illustration I guess it must be wrong.
I'll now try to get a correct replacement.

Regards