• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB 1975 MGB

19dlp39

Freshman Member
I am going to look at a 1975 MGB. The seller says it was built in March, 1975. It has pre-1975 metal bumpers, two carbs, simulated grain dash. Were the earlier 1975 MGB's built as 1974 and earlier models? I don't believe the car was modified. He is asking around $8,500 for it.
Thanks for any help.

Dante

SwamperCa

Welcome: No, a 75 should have rubber bumpers, single carb, and a cat. converter. The change was made in 74 in the middle of the build. I have a 74.5 Rubber bumper built in 74. I wouldn't think this car your looking at was modified. You might be looking at a early 74 which was first sold in 75 new. At that price it should be in excellent condition!
If you can post pictures of it the board members can give you a better idea of the year.

PaulP

I was watching this on on ebay. It's definitely a chrome bumper conversion. Note how much higher it sits than a true chrome bumper car. The carbs are also a retrofit. I also have a hard time believing the car only had the 3X,000 miles as stated. If it was true, no one (IMHO) would do the kind of mods that were done to this car. It would have been far better to keep it original.

The VIN number is a '75 car. Note that it was 74 1/2 when MG went to rubber bumpers.

Here's a post from MGBE regarding this car.

https://www.mgbexperience.com/phorum/read.php?1,306123,306148#msg-306148

Be careful with this one. This car has significant mods. If the owner believes it originally had CB, he doesn't know much about MGs. I had sent him a message a week or so ago about this and never received a reply.

Good Luck

Paul /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Walk quickly away.....

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
...and find an early B, pay a reasonable price and proceed to drive the wheels off'n it!

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
The seller's in Brookfield, WI. I can go take a look-see for you if you like. I live and work in Brookfield. From the photos though I have to say that for a car with such "low" mileage (more than likely add a "1" to the front of that 30-odd thousand miles, the odometer doesn't go that high) car, it's a conversion car for sure. The paint is a non-standard colour and the interior has been completely redone. The seller is either ignorant of the details of these vehicles or he is hoping that the buyer is.....either one.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Gone - somebody offered $8K...

Mickey

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
May they wear it in good health.

PT Barnum exhonorated... again.

PaulP

Dante - Did the car sell on ebay? I've never seen an ebay auction set up the way this one was. It shows 'best offer' rather than 'winning bid.' The history does shown that the offer price was 'accepted.'

Did you look at it? What did you think?

Paul

mowog

Jedi Hopeful
I said it had O/D but the shifter knob was not consistant with that of an overdrive equipped vehicle I would run rather than walk away from this one just to many ? for that kind of money

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Did the car sell on ebay? I've never seen an ebay auction set up the way this one was. It shows 'best offer' rather than 'winning bid.' The history does shown that the offer price was 'accepted.'

Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

I noticed that ebay had a category for bidding where one can make an offer. If the seller accepts, the vehicle sells for that price. Kinda defeats the concept of an auction, doesn't it?

Mickey

OP

19dlp39

Freshman Member
Thanks for your quick response. If I get a chance to look at it (it's about 25 miles from where I live), I will take some pictures. If it looks like a nice car and I need help identifying anything, I will try to send some pictures to you.

Dante

OP

19dlp39

Freshman Member
Thanks for the information. It sounds like I should pass on this one. I might just take a look at it to satisfy my curiosity.

Dante

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I'd be happy to meet up with you to take a look at it if you have arranged to view the car, but it looks as though the auction had ended. I am on the doorstep, literally, so it won't be a problem. I've had several MGBs including my current one, which you are welcome to look at for comparision purposes..........it's a genuine 27k mile car, rubber-bumper.

OP

19dlp39

Freshman Member
Thanks for the advice. I might look for an earlier model. I'm in no hurry. I want to make the right decision.

Dante