• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1968 Sprite MKIV Lights/Electrical

dklawson

Yoda
Headlight relays are really a good addition. They take most of the load off the original switches and generally result in brighter headlights... especially if you switch to halogen sealed beams. There are kits our you can make the assembly yourself, neither is difficult to install. Take a look at the kit at AdvancedAutoWire.com
They include a schematic online that shows the connections. The schematic would allow you to make your own kit if you are inclined to do so.
https://www.advanceautowire.com/
(Click the link on the left for "headlight relay kit" for both the kit and its schematic).

A similar kit is available from Victoria British as a "heavy-duty headlight wiring harness".
https://www.victoriabritish.com/icatalog/sm/full.aspx?Page=121

And again... from Moss
https://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=104060&SortOrder=10

nomad

Yoda
Jim et all,

So you would highly recommend adding in a relay? How difficult is it to do so? I'm not afraid of wiring, as I went to school for Electrical Engineering. I'm just a bit out of practice, but I want to make the car more bulletproof.

Also, any thoughts on the LED conversion kits that are out there for the car lighting? (Headlights, backup, brake, etc) Would the LED lights be overall brighter and easier on the battery?

The relays and halogen headlights are definitely worth the trouble but I tried LED tail light bulb's and the stock with with the stock reflectors were brighter. Also need to take into account that a special flasher would be needed for the turn signals since LED's don't draw enough current to make the stock flasher work. I added a third LED brake light.

Kurt.

Healeyhardy

Freshman Member
Country flag
Welcome! and welcome to the wonderful world of Lucas! Notwithstanding the very good advice above, you do in fact have a starting point.

Before you do anything else,

1. Find the fuse box and one at a time remove and clean the contacts and replace - pay particular attention to green wires,

2. Go through the engine bay, starting around the headlights and working your way back - including the trunk. Check and clean every black wire (ground) contact - especially any that attach to the body.

Once you have this, then you have a baseline to start with the rest, and, you will have a better shot at fixing the gremlins once and for all.

welcome and, hang around, there is a lot of wisdom here!
Where is the fuse box located ?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Should be in the engine bay on the left (looking from the front) near the firewall and the hinge for the bonnet (hood)

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Do you have any manuals yet? If not can I suggest you get two: Bentley and Haynes, you really need both.

> Austin-Healey Sprite (1958 - 1972) Repair Manuals <

(you can ususally get them used if you poke around a bit)

Both have wiring schematics - I got mine photocopied on the 11 1/2 X 17 paper and sat down with markers and coloured the wires. Some get them laminated.

There are pdf files around also > SpridgetGuru.com-Tech Index-Factory Workshop Manuals <