• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1968 Maserati Ghibli coupe...

Anyone have any firsthand knowledge about them? I know it has a dohc v-8 with 4 webber carbs (very unique looking and pretty engine actually) Parts availability? reliability? normal areas to look for problems? Worth restoring as an investment? Should I buy one that isn't running? The usual stuff. Hit me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Kenny - its a Maserati! Anything that neds repairing wil be more expensive than what you paid for either of your cars!

OP
kennypinkerton
true... but ever since I found one for $11,000 I've been obsessing over it... good ones cost $50-70K, I was just curious if it would be worth putting the money into it for resale at a profit.

OP
kennypinkerton
I know, I know... I should finish the ones I already have... and that's what I'll do. But a ghibli priced at that level is very tempting. Besides that - it sold tonight...
https://www.cars-on-line.com/28709.html

Someone got one heck of a deal! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

mattmacklind3

Jedi Hopeful
Nothing like a mechanic's special Maserati! I can't help but think its strictly for the pro's, not that you aren't one, I just know I'm not one!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The list of 'problem areas' on the engine alone would eat Basil's bandwidth useage for the month...

Water pump is a work of art on 'em: made of "Unobtainium" and will last about 25K miles on a rebuild...

"Mechanic's special" indeed. But not in the way you think, Matt. That thing would pad the IRA of most any pro wrench.

But they're beautiful cars! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

swift6

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
Someone got one heck of a deal! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Most likely the seller.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif

NOT that I don't respect 'em... I've just had to WORK on 'em. Brutally fast and handle like a 'supercar' of their day when they're right... It just takes an inordinate amount of time/money to make that a reality.

OP
kennypinkerton
I read one site that compared them with the daytona ferrari... the maser cost more when new... was slightly more reliable... and way more comfortable on a long roadtrip. But he also said what everyone who deals in italian cars says... buy the best one you can get and then you'll enjoy it... otherwise you'll pay for 2 of 'em.

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
Hey Doc, ever do a waterpump on a Ghibli with AC? As I remember there is a little braided strap for the drive.... When they are right, they are great cars, but the cost of putting one right would bring tears to your eyes. I remember tracing fuel gauge wiring on one. Two tanks, two senders, and the wire changed colors three times between the sender and the dash. And yes, this was an unmolested car. Ahh, the good old days.

Jesse

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Indeed, Jesse. All I ever saw were A/C ones. Last trident we worked on was in for A/C work, as a matter of fact. Merak. Another nightmare. Plumbing nose to tail... Joints in places inexplicable. Took doin' it three times: fix one leak, find another upstream. Seems they built the entire car around the evaporator too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

OP
kennypinkerton
The merak used citroen hydraulics for everything from raising the headlights, to moving the "power" seats. Sounds kinda scary everytime I read that somewhere.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
You can pick up a Biturbo pretty cheap now... I'd recommend you grab up a Yugo for a 'support vehicle' first tho. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

OP
kennypinkerton
There's still parts available for yugos? I've always had a weird want to own a yugo turbo, but swap in a mid 90's mistsu eclipse 2.0 turbo instead just to scare the bejeezus outta anyone riding with me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

mrtvr

Jedi Trainee
When considering something like a Maserati, you should buy the best one you can. A 'fixer-upper' will indeed end up costing you more than a decent driver in the long run.
the Ghibli is a lovely car, beautiful to drive, and that V8 is so sweet.
I had two Maseratis some years ago and they do cost more than the average sportscar to maintain.
If you have a desire for a Ghibli, try Minichamps new 1:18 scale Ghibli coupe or spyder. It's a whole lot cheaper than the real thing and extremely reliable.

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
Man, I've had the hots for a Bora since they came out. I love the plain jane wheels with hub caps, and the stainless roof.(one rustfree part!!) However, so far sanity has prevailed. There is no way I can afford one that I would want, and I don't want one that I can afford. I feel the same way about Espada's. I really like the cars, but I would have to live in a cardboard box to afford a decent car. I guess that it is God's ( or deity of your choice) way of keeping me out of trouble.

Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
If you have a desire for a Ghibli, try Minichamps new 1:18 scale Ghibli coupe or spyder. It's a whole lot cheaper than the real thing and extremely reliable.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Too, too true for practically all of our cars.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

mrtvr

Jedi Trainee
Oh yes, you're right. I just added both the Maserati Ghibli coupe and spyder to my diecast collection. They're beautiful additions and so much easier on the sanity than trying to either afford a top example of the real thing, or trying to make a dog into a top example. the only drawback is you can't drive them.

CraigFL

Jedi Trainee
Having previously owened a Ferrari 328GTS, I can tell you too that it is usually best to buy the car redone and inspect real well. If you find a good one, you'll find someones "labor of love" and they will be selling it for much less than you could buy the parts and fix it yourself. The cars that bring the high prices are well restored and near original. If you choose to do a cheap restoration you should plan to use it just as a driver. For example, if you want near original custom fit Connolly leather seats --- probably about $6000 and you get to install them. Wilton Wool Carpeting $2000 and you install. It could cost you $12K in parts just to do the interior right. And then there's the mechanicals-- engine & tranmission...

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Kenny - the maserati Ghibli is a lovely looking car, but it is technically behind the times. The V8 is a low revving engine with modest power output and the live axle is a very retro choice for what they intended to be a suprcar.

Both the Ferrari Daytona and Lamborghini Islero are technically superior, although I don't think either has anything on the styling of the Ghibli.

I almost bought one once - and delayed and ended up with a Lamborghini instead.

iconjpg.jpg

renginejpeg.jpg

There is no such thing as a cheap Italian supercar, and it is highly unlikely that you would be able to make any money on it if you fix it correctly. If you buy it, do it for fun, not money.