• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series 1952 MG TD tires

K

Kosmos

Hi I just purchased a 1952 MG TD and will be picking it up in a couple of weeks. It is my first MG. I am looking for information on this car and found your forum. It has been sitting and even though the tires are in good shape, they have flat spots. I have been to the local Les Schwab tire dealer and made inquiries. The 165/15 radial is supposed to be the same size as the bias tires that are on it now. The only other tire that comes close is a 205/15 radial. Is there anyone here that has had this experience and can let me know if this is what size you use?

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Aloha Kosmos,

I have a TF and have been using the metric radial tire, 165R15 for several years. It is a very close match to the original 5.90 X 15 tire and so not affect the accuracy of your speedometer and odometer. The radial ply tires will also give you ride and handling in my opinion.

Safety Fast,
Dave

martyc

Jedi Hopeful
I just purchased a 1952 MG TD also. It has Vredestein (made in Holland) Radials 165SR15, that I believe have been on the car for quite a while. They seem to ride OK, based on the small amount of driving I've done in it so far... but that's another story!

Henri

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Kosmos & MartyC...welcome to the forum...thanks for joining us...I love the 52 MG-TD...it might be my favorite LBC...if I could fit in it properly... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif

You need to tell us more about yourself and your cars...don't be shy...this is the only way we have to communciate...we won't bite... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

It just makes you more interesting...why the 52? First time owner of a LBC? Are they fully restored? Drivers? What...tell us all the horny details... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

martyc

Jedi Hopeful
First time owner of a LBC. I've owned the TD for about a month and a half. It's an older restoration, some basic maintenance items that I'm working on that the previous owner let go (empty dampers, replaced steering boots and tie rod ends, etc). Runs OK, but needs a tune-up which I'm in the midst of. Will probably be rebuilding the carbs (a winter projec!), looking forward to getting it running well enough to really drive it. It's no trailer queen, but it is in nice shape as far as I can tell.

I've attached a picture of it from the day I brought it home...

Attachments

• 77412-MCMBMG-medium.JPG
    77412-MCMBMG-medium.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 374

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
OP
K

Kosmos

Thanks for the information. I am going to California from Washington state tomorrow or the next day and will post pictures and give you more information when I get it home.

OP
K

Kosmos

Hi Rick here, I got home with my car last night. When I went to back it off the trailer my wife noticed gas leaking. The float was stuck on the back carb. I got it into the shop and cleaned up the floats on both carbs. I went for a couple of drives and also got my five new 165 radials. Tonight I went to take my wife for a sunset ride. 82° weather. We were barely out of the driveway and a bolt fell out the back. I thought it was another one that was just sitting around because the previous owner had found one just laying loose under the hood somewhere and had me put it in my pocket. By the time I got turned around and headed back home I noticed it was in fact handling oddly. As I turned into the driveway the steering became very unresponsive. It turned out that there was only one of the three bolts on the steering coupler left. Nothing like picking up where the previous mechanic had left off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif So parts are ordered and now I have just what I wanted, something to tinker on.
Here are pictures. Thanks for the welcome, I hope I don't wear it out asking for advice.
https://homepage.mac.com/kosmos56/mgtd/index.html

martyc

Jedi Hopeful
[ QUOTE ]
...It turned out that there was only one of the three bolts on the steering coupler left. Nothing like picking up where the previous mechanic had left off....

[/ QUOTE ]

Phew! That was close, Rick. I'm glad the steering didn't let loose while you were traveling at speed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Nice photos! Thanks for posting them.

Marty