• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1500 gearbox, trouble shifting into first from neu

recordsj

Jedi Warrior
I have a 1500 gearbox in a MG Midget. The gearbox is rebuilt with about 2k to 3k miles on it. When the rebuilt gearbox was installed the clutch was renewed also.

I have been having trouble shifting into first from neutrual. I will make sure the clutch pedal is down all the way but I can not get into first, but will eventally get in after several tries. I also notice when there isn't any trouble in getting into first, that the shift is not all that smooth like the other gears (especially 3rd or 4th).

I did check that the gearbox oil level is correct (filled to the fill plug). The gearbox oil was relplaced about 400 miles ago.

Any ideas?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Gear oil replaced with what?

My first suggestion is: Pull the thing partially into second, THEN into first (called: "clearing"). If it falls in with no complaint, the lube or synchro are suspect.

OP
R

recordsj

Jedi Warrior
75W-90 Valvoline gear oil was used in the gear box.
Also I noticed that when I have trouble getting into 1st, I also have trouble getting into 2nd.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Try the "clearing" maneuver... Partially engage second then go for first.

If, as you've described, it doesn't go easily into first you may have clutch or hydraulic issues.

Try pumping the clutch pedal a few times before engaging first and see if it goes in more easily.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
FWIW I added some Lucas transmision additive and it now shifts much smoother

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I had real trouble bleeding the clutch slave on my Spitfire. It angles down, so I ended up removing the salve from the trans, aiming up, then bleeding it. It worked! Now that easy in a Spitfire with its removable trans cover. Not sure how you can do it on a Spridget.

I also had real trouble getting my trans to go into reverse. It ended up being a problem with the two pins that hold down the retainer ring. I think I ended up removing one of the pins. Don't know if this copld be part of the trouble you have or not.

sparkydave

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'm guessing there's some air in the system. Bleeding the 1500 clutch is a pain, there are lots of threads on tips for it. On the other hand, if going into reverse isn't a problem, then it might be bad synchros. Every so often it balks going all the way into first for me.

billspit said:
I had real trouble bleeding the clutch slave on my Spitfire. It angles down, so I ended up removing the salve from the trans, aiming up, then bleeding it. It worked! Now that easy in a Spitfire with its removable trans cover. Not sure how you can do it on a Spridget.

The 1500 has a tight-fitting dust boot on the slave cylinder, so while that sounds like a good idea, I have found that removing and reinstalling the slave builds up an air pocket between the pushrod and the dust boot. The clutch still works - for the first couple of shifts anyway. Eventually that air pocket burps its way past the the seal, and you'll have to bleed again.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
easiest way to bleed is to take off the master cylinder from the box - tight but doable. I used a 1/4 in drive socket with thin sides. hold it higher than the hose - rock back and forth while pumping in the piston - 2 minutes and it is done

OP
R

recordsj

Jedi Warrior
sparkydave,
I also have problems shifting into reverse (at times when I try to shift I hear gears hitting each other).

walshja

Jedi Warrior
DrEntropy said:

My first suggestion is: Pull the thing partially into second, THEN into first (called: "clearing"). If it falls in with no complaint, the lube or synchro are suspect.

My gearbox does the same thing, and about a year ago you recommended the same procedure to me, and it worked perfectly !

Problem is, no matter what car I get into, I go into second, then first !! Makes me smile every time I do it !

Question, by doing this procedure, am I causing premature wear on the second gear syncro?

tweety

Jedi Trainee
I'm going to put it in the midget and see, I have a very similar problem.

I might even put it in my Isuzu as it's got some crazy issues with the trany also.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Tipsy said:
This Lucas Oil stuff is for automatic trans. Did you use it in your manual trans?

yes I did - worked fine

G

I say clutch issues (hydralic or dragging) and Lucas is great stuff !!!! I use it in everything and their oil stop leak is good too. Mine gets a dose of both as they are different formulas. I just picked up two of each today as mine is due for an oil change.

Their auto trans stuff is great too.

G

JPSmit said:
Tipsy said:
This Lucas Oil stuff is for automatic trans. Did you use it in your manual trans?

yes I did - worked fine

Hmmm, I've never heard of that before but they both are thick plus you get the added benefit of the stop leak already added in. According to Lucas, the auto stuff is a completly different formula from all of their other products. I tried to fudge by buying one product to do eveything and called them before, but they claim everything is different.

The auto stuff works good in power steering also but both are a little slow right off on a cold morning.

CraigZ

Re: 1500 gearbox, trouble shifting into first from

walshja said:
DrEntropy said:

My gearbox does the same thing, and about a year ago you recommended the same procedure to me, and it worked perfectly !

Problem is, no matter what car I get into, I go into second, then first !! Makes me smile every time I do it !

A buddy here taught me this trick when I put my first Midget on the road...and just like you I do it with any and every manual box car I drive now. There's worse habits to have ya know :smile: