• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

100S Replica Project $329,000.00

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Sounded like another Fantasy add to me--:highly_amused:

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
The defining look of a 100S engine would be the cross flow head, which is not present.

CraigC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
The 100S did not have a cross flow head. It was an 8-port head with intake and exhaust on the right hand side as opposed to the standard 100 which was a 5-port head with intake and exhaust on the left side. The head in the ad is definitely 100S.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
It is more susceptible to brain freeze by way of Frappuccinos. Doctors are adding frog blood which has a narural antifreeze. I still think alcohol is the best though.

OP
D

Duane_Rhynard

The 100S did not have a cross flow head. It was an 8-port head with intake and exhaust on the right hand side as opposed to the standard 100 which was a 5-port head with intake and exhaust on the left side. The head in the ad is definitely 100S.

Craig,

I don't know allot about the 100S details, but shouldn't the the oil temperature gauge read "Made in England"? The NOS one in their listing says "Made in U.K."

Thanks,
Duane

AM15_r201_004-700x466.jpg

55-Austin-Healey-100S_DV-08_HHC_i001.jpg

Last edited:

CraigC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Duane, you'll note that the ad doesn't state that it is a NOS 100S oil temp guage, just that it is NOS. It actually looks brand new.

Anyone know when the Smith's changed their gauge labeling from "Made In England" to "Made In UK" ?

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
There appears to be one vital part missing from this impressive project, the finned oil cooler that mounts on the crossmember below the radiator. I believe this component was also used on Thornycroft trucks but where would you find one of them?
Yes it's a lot of money, but it looks like most of the hard work has been done.

WaltCasten

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I'll throw in my probably unwanted 2 cents here. This is a very nice high end REPLICA of a rare and desirable car. High end REPLICAS of other rare and desirable cars barely make $200-$250,000...COMPLETED. Granted, a lot of those are somewhat "production" cars, albeit very low production and this appears to be more of a one-off and has some real bits. They went through considerable effort to make those superstructures out of aluminium, but at the end of the day when this car is painted, who is going to know or care.

Also at the end of the day this car is indefinitely going to have the stigma of the word REPLICA attached to it.

As an enthusiast trying to put a regular 100 BN2 back together, I would love nothing more than for my car to have more of its original pieces with it. Having said that, if those real bits originated from 3605... I'm also a realist and know sometimes that can't or won't happen. I AM NOT SAYING this is the case here but a lot of times "making the big score" is more important than preserving a piece of automotive history. But I digress...

My opinion is one could get himself 95% of the way here for 1/3rd the cost or less by taking a decent BN1, building up the engine, having fourintune (or whoever was doing this a while ago) graft in the 100S style grille and hitting the Denis Welch catalog for disk brakes and few other odds and ends.

Again, just my opinions here...donned the flame suit...have at it Gents!

Later,
Wally

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Don't think you'll need the flame suit, Wally. Seems like we all pretty much agree. Much as I love Healeys, I'd have to think what else I could buy for this kind of money. I could get a beautiful complete Kirkham aluminum bodied 427 Cobra for half the ask here with about as much provenance as this replica. It will take a very special buyer for this and for all that expenditure still wouldn't get you into the 100S Registry.

Gearhead_Garage

Jedi Hopeful
This guy just ran out of money and is looking for another fool to bail him out. I love the work and the original bits but as already stated, the finished product will not be worth the ask for this half-baked casserole.

Too bad he couldn't find a destroyed 100S frame with a number plate. At least then you could claim it is a full rebuild. As is, a modified BN1 would be more legit.