• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Shim Adjustment of BJ8 Convertible Frame

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi All,

I am looking for guidance and instruction on how to adjust my BJ8 Frame with shims between each platform and frame base.

Recently, I sewed in a new rear window and zipper on my 1971 Sears top. Using an Awl and 20lb fishing line, this was not the easiest task encountered, however, I could not get local servicers to perform the task due to the high risk low reward of working on such an old piece of vinyl.

Although the zipper and window turned out quite good, when installing the top back on the frame, the passenger side forward window molding fell out of line and below its proper position. From past comments in other posts, I understand these frames can be adjusted through the application of shims between each base platform and their frame support.

Along with the forward window frame piece falling lower at the rear and out of line, the latch has become quite tight as it does when the top is left down for the Summer. When making the repairs, the top was taken off the frame with the front bow kept attached to assure position and placement when reinstalled.

So, to recap, I am looking to adjust the top passenger side frame with shims to position the side frame to its fully extended position (aligned with window) as well as eliminate excessive latch tension.

IMG_E0269.jpg
IMG_E0267.jpg

I would appreciate any direction and instruction,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Ray, Perhaps if you just allow the top fabric to stretch it'll reconfigure into the original position with no adjustment needed. You may also try a little heat or leaving out in the sun to facilitate the stretching. Looking good though. GONZO

OP
RAC68

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Randy/Gonzo,

Randy,
I used a woven black Nylon 20lb fishing line. I have used this line for years and usually could get it locally. Now I can't seem to find it locally (living close to the shore) and had to get it on-line.

Gonzo,
With snow and an unheated garage, I did apply some heat to the top and maybe in summer it will settle down. However, the right side of the top seems to have grown tighter over the years and now has gotten to a point of needing to be addressed. Not sure but I don't think shimming the right mounting platform would be that difficult … however not so sure.

Thanks guys,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

Ray(64BJ8P1)

British_Recovery

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
Ray,
Generally shimming makes the top tighter, as the frame is raised from the flat mount. You can also play with location of the shim(s) or washers to put a slight angle on the frame mount plate. Make sure the tabs that locate the wooden side pieces can go fully home, and get a proper side window fit.
Bob

OP
RAC68

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the advice. Since the right side seems much tighter and require more effort to clamp to the windshield, I am thinking of establishing a forward lean with the placement of a washer under the rear platform bolt. However, so many adjustments seem to respond counter logical (my logic), I though I would ask those, like you, who have installed them for advice.

Thanks again,
Ray(64BJ8P1)