Thread: What is available to repair the hardtops for the early 4 seater 100-six and 3000

Jedi Warrior
    Chats

What is available to repair the hardtops for the early 4 seater 100-six and 3000

who has any information as to what parts are currently available for some one to recondition a factory hardtop. hardware? interior lining? wood pieces? rubber molding around the bottom attaching to the frame and also surrounding the plexiglas window. Also what is required to recondition the the chrome.

thank you for your assistance and insight

healey106
    healey106

Jedi Trainee
    Chats

Re: What is available to repair the hardtops for the early 4 seater 100-six and 3000

Quote Originally Posted by healey106 View Post
    who has any information as to what parts are currently available for some one to recondition a factory hardtop. hardware? interior lining? wood pieces? rubber molding around the bottom attaching to the frame and also surrounding the plexiglas window. Also what is required to recondition the the chrome.

thank you for your assistance and insight

healey106

Nical Engineering has almost everything!! Moss and AH Spares also have a few items.

http://www.nicalengineering.co.uk/austin_parts.html

https://www.ahspares.co.uk/big-heale...s/default.aspx

https://mossmotors.com/austin-healey...top-100-6-3000

Jedi Warrior
    Chats

Re: What is available to repair the hardtops for the early 4 seater 100-six and 3000

Duane - thanks for the very important info

healeyey106
    healey106

Chats

British Car Speciaists also have a bunch of the items needed.

Chats

Hope you're starting with something better than I did. It can be done and is very rewarding once completed. I had to have the headliner fabric sewn to match the original pattern, as all I was able to get was the material in bulk and not pre-sewn (it is a simple seam though).

http://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/s...ets-a-hard-top

Jedi Warrior
    Chats

Healeyblue - thanks for sharing - those photos are really great!!!

healey106

This write up of my hardtop restoration that I did a few years back may be helpful?
    http://valvechatter.us/?p=3272

Lin
    1959 AN5 Bugeye
    1960 BT7 3000 MKI
    1964 Jaguar MK2
    1969 MB 280SL
    1987 Alfa Romeo Spider Quadrifoglio

Jedi Warrior
    Chats

Lin - your article is truly FANTASTIC. Thanks for sharing

You bet :-)
    Lin
    1959 AN5 Bugeye
    1960 BT7 3000 MKI
    1964 Jaguar MK2
    1969 MB 280SL

Chats

[QUOTE=healey106;1070507]Healeyblue - thanks for sharing - those photos are really great!!!

When I have rebuild my Longbridge 100/6 Hard Top I have followed LIN instructions and Photos (the BEST)
    I have collect also a lot of HT photos in this album that can be useful
    https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...NzaqNg27waWUjZ
    I remember the panic on rear perspex assembly (two days of battles)

on this Google album you can see some photos of the work steps-Fabrizio TWO hands- helps a lot in the work
    https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...LG0NIGFgg0yStm

Lot of spares find from AHead4Healeys

Chats

All suggestions offered, especially the Lin Rose technical article, are very helpful.

I purchased my rebuild kit from AH Spares. Not perfect, but complete with the exception of headliner materials. Cape International (UK) provided headliner material and side panels.

Rear glass "fit" was almost perfect. Installation took less than an hour. A little silicone lube and a proper install tool really helped!

If you are going to do your own paint and body work, please be prepared for the thin and delicate fiberglass material. My top was in poor condition. I had to spray a new gelcoat. After some initial sanding I sprayed epoxy primer and filler. Then I actually reassembled the aluminum extrusion structure to get enough support to properly block and sand the top. It was like trying to sand an air filled balloon. every time I pushed, it went the other way. Hope your is in better shape than mine was.

I am happy with the end product.

TFR1
    Attached Images Attached Images

TFR1
    Nice work! Well done. Another hardtop saved.
    Lin
    1959 AN5 Bugeye
    1960 BT7 3000 MKI
    1964 Jaguar MK2
    1969 MB 280SL

Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Lin View Post
    Another hardtop saved.

Lin,

Your technical article was the first good bit of information found as I searched for information 2 years ago when I started planning to rebuild my hardtop.

The enlarged photos and printed copy of the article were kept it in a folder in the workshop. It provided encouragement to begin.

It was a difficult job, but I do like the result. My BN4 is much better looking with a hardtop!

Thanks for the compliment.

TFR1

Chats

TFR

The Nical top for my 100 was so thin and flexible it was impossible to install the rear window without first mounting a pair of bars to triangulate the corners. That made the top rigid enough so that i could exert force against the window and moulding. They were not part of the 100 top kit but luckily i had ordered a pair of them on spec from Freeman.

Chats

At least to my eye a Healey's lines are graced by a well-designed hardtop though not all will agree. Conversely