• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

You might be a Little British Car owner.........

Mark Beiser

Jedi Warrior
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SilentUnicorn:

That could be tuff. Me thinks i would use a handy roll of duct tape and a maglite, might make it easier to steer and shift.
But lets hear the story !! Please

Mark
<hr></blockquote>

When your driving about 60 mph on old "highway"89a between Jerome and Clarkdale, AZ, and all forward facing lighting on your MGB goes out, you don't have time for duct tape. You need light on the road RIGHT NOW!
shocked.gif

Highway 89a between Jerome and Clarkdale drops over 1000 feet in about 3 miles. It sports an abundance of twists and turns with a sheer dropoff on one side and a solid wall of rock on the other side. Much of it with no guard rails at the time.

My '68 MGB had a lot of Loose Unsoldered Connections And Splices working against it. Fairly regularly every light in the car would just cut out. Pulling over and whacking on the fuse box, and wiring harness around the fuse box, would bring the lights back on again. With a full synchro gearbox, I could hold the flashlight so I could see and hold the steering wheel briefly with my knee while I shifted. At least untill I could find a place to pull over.
wink.gif

youngsmith

...If you can tell by the smell exactly what fluid, or guage of wire is burning, and how far you can get before you need to replace something...

Oh, and that's the exact reason I carry a small plastic bodied high power flashlight with me at all times, plastic bodied so I can hold it in my mouth without rattling my teeth.

[ 09-16-2003: Message edited by: youngsmith ]</p>

lawguy

Jedi Knight
A revival of a wonderful old topic...I love it!

- if the first choices on your baby name list were: Morris, Austin, Morgan, and Sunbeam (ok, if the last, you may be a hippy too)...

- if you can place your hand on the ground while seated upright in the driver's seat of your car...

- if when you take your hand off the ground, it is covered in oil...

- if the term "elegant in its simplicity" applies better to you than your car's electrical system.

- if you've ever considered making a pilgrimage to Tony Barnhill's place to lay a wreath in the MG graveyard...

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by lawguy:
- if the first choices on your baby name list were: Morris, Austin, Morgan, and Sunbeam (ok, if the last, you may be a hippy too)...
<hr></blockquote>

We are expecting again and if its a girl and working on my wife for Elise as a name or at least a middle name. Any other good Brit car ones?

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 78Z:

We are expecting again and if its a girl and working on my wife for Elise as a name or at least a middle name. Any other good Brit car ones?
<hr></blockquote>

How about Lola?

PC.

lawguy

Jedi Knight
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by PC:

How about Lola?

PC.
<hr></blockquote>

Hey, and a theme song too.

Wait a minute....as the father of two daughtes (6 weeks and 4 years), Lola may not be the best.

Andy Blackley

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
If your favorite MS font type is Gill Sans MT, the closest used to that in most LBC factory manuals and handbooks.

OP
Steve

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Ooooh, useful info, thanks Andy!!

If you won't buy a car with automatic transmission in case you need to bump-start it.....

If your definition of a luxury car is one that has a working heater........

Baxter

Jedi Trainee
If you 've ever tried to convince anyone the "back seat" in a BGT is useful, you're not a British car owner, you're a nut.

If you know (and CARE) what Whitworth is.

If a mechanic with a Phillips screwdriver instead of the "proper" one gives you the willies.

If you KNOW what the "proper" one is.

If you consider a leather strap to be a perfectly suitable and downright sporty hood latch.

If you've ever seriously considered removing your windscreen and replacing it with a 4-inch high piece of plexiglass called a "brooklands" screen.

If you know what a "Brooklands screen" is, and (extra points) what it's referring to.

If you CAN remove your windscreen, frame and all.

If you call it a "windscreen".

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Elise is a sweet name but you're gonna have to start saving your pennies so that when she's 16 you can give her one as a Sweet 16 present...."There goes Elise in her Elise!"
....oh, when she's old enough, get her a cat or dog & name it 'LOTUS'!

Mark Jones

Jedi Warrior
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Baxter:
If a mechanic with a Phillips screwdriver instead of the "proper" one gives you the willies.

If you KNOW what the "proper" one is.
<hr></blockquote>

Not many things irritate but seeing someone use a phillips screwdrive to remove a posidrive screw does.

And the backseat in the GT is my dog's seat and she loves it because she can laydown and still see where we are going.