Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
Thanks, I figured a helicoil would be the way to go, just got lazy and didn't want to remove the windshield. I may search a little longer and see if anyone makes a screw that can be cut to fit so I can retap the frame on the car.
Thanks, Rut
Most of the screws in mine were stripped, but I was avoiding repairs since I didn't really know what I was doing and figured it would be time consuming. At the suggestion of people on the forum I purchased a helicoil insert kit from the local NAPA auto store (they had to order what I wanted). I had never used a helicoil insert before, and I was very happy with the results. I did one side at a time so that I did not have to remove it, and my windshield is stronger than original with the inserts.
Kevin
Kevin, thanks for the reinforcement! I just got in and picked up a helicoil set on my way here. It looks very straight forward and I'll feel much better when I have more than 2 screws holding the windshield frame in! I got the full set with tap, tool, and helicoils for about $15. I'll report back after I finish.
Thanks, Rut
I took off the drivers side pillar and cleaned it up, drilled and tapped the mounting holes, used the supplied helicoil tool and inserted all 3. It took me 4 tries and 4 helicoils on the center hole because I wasn't holding my mouth right. I replaced the mounting screws with some stainless ones that match up ok, but don't have the exact contour as the pillar. I'll replace those when I find some. All in all a pretty simple task, but I did have to remove the pillar. I don't want to do that again until I have the car painted! Thanks for the tips!
Rut
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.