Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
It'll probably work, but I think you'll be a slave to the sanding belts, and pneumatic tools generally have low torque. For grinding operations I generally go to my Dewalt DW400. If I have to get into a tight spot, then I'll rely on my pneumatic cut-off tool or die grinder. During my TR3 resto, the Dewalt was my most used grinding tool. It's fast and efficient at leveling those MIG welds and can be used in a variety of other jobs.
Having no idea of your welding skill and meaning no disrespect, just keep in mind that depending on the quality and depth of penetration of the weld that you might be grinding away what is actually holding things together.
I bought my first one on a trip to Germany. It was a Black and Decker, ran on 220 volts and was made in England. I've also seen them in Canada and USA. The one I have now is one I bought in Canada and is driven by my air compressor. I think Harbor Freight might have them. Much cheaper. Here I am in 1988 doing the rear clip under the rear valance with my Black & Decker electric driven unit.
Every tool has a function, a place and time to use them. Anything that has abrasive qualities will grind M.I.G. welds. As stated before, Grinding large areas with the belt sander is Belt use intensive and cost prohibitive at best.
I prefer the disk type sanders For large areas and carborundum type disk grinders for high build up areas The belt type sanders come in handy for hard to reach areas and tight spaces where the larger sander/grinders won`t fit.
If you don`t have one, you will find a 1/4 angel grinder/sander with attachments {Both, carborundum and abrasive disk} quite useful and inexpensive to operate.
If a man is going to weld he can`t have too many sander/grinders of different sizes and shapes in his arsenal of tools.
I even use the drum sander attachment with my dremel tool at times.
For real tight places a burr cutter can be just the ticket!
Dremel has a nice assortment of these items https://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/CTGY/dremel-burr-cutter
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.