• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Will this work on MIG welds?

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
What do you think guys?

97055.gif

71MKIV

Jedi Warrior
yes

PeterK

Yoda
I bought the electric version at HF but haven't used it yet. The replacement belts are expensive.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
It'll probably work, but I think you'll be a slave to the sanding belts, and pneumatic tools generally have low torque. For grinding operations I generally go to my Dewalt DW400. If I have to get into a tight spot, then I'll rely on my pneumatic cut-off tool or die grinder. During my TR3 resto, the Dewalt was my most used grinding tool. It's fast and efficient at leveling those MIG welds and can be used in a variety of other jobs.

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Hi Art - thanks for the post. I have a small grinder but have found I still can't get to all the areas like I want/need to.

Peter - did you buy this one?

92158.gif

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
I bought my first one on a trip to Germany. It was a Black and Decker, ran on 220 volts and was made in England. I've also seen them in Canada and USA. The one I have now is one I bought in Canada and is driven by my air compressor. I think Harbor Freight might have them. Much cheaper. Here I am in 1988 doing the rear clip under the rear valance with my Black & Decker electric driven unit.

Attachments

• 19391.jpg
    19391.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 192

AweMan

Jedi Knight
Every tool has a function, a place and time to use them. Anything that has abrasive qualities will grind M.I.G. welds. As stated before, Grinding large areas with the belt sander is Belt use intensive and cost prohibitive at best.
I prefer the disk type sanders For large areas and carborundum type disk grinders for high build up areas The belt type sanders come in handy for hard to reach areas and tight spaces where the larger sander/grinders won`t fit.
If you don`t have one, you will find a 1/4 angel grinder/sander with attachments {Both, carborundum and abrasive disk} quite useful and inexpensive to operate.
If a man is going to weld he can`t have too many sander/grinders of different sizes and shapes in his arsenal of tools.
I even use the drum sander attachment with my dremel tool at times.
For real tight places a burr cutter can be just the ticket!
Dremel has a nice assortment of these items
https://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/CTGY/dremel-burr-cutter

PeterK

Yoda
tdskip said:
Hi Art - thanks for the post. I have a small grinder but have found I still can't get to all the areas like I want/need to.

Peter - did you buy this one?

92158.gif

Yep, that's the one. Came with an extra set of brushes for the motor. I've run it but haven't used it yet.

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks for all the input guys. I just bought this one and quickly ditched the family as we walked in the door and went and tried it.

As Kerry says "If a man is going to weld he can`t have too many sander/grinders of different sizes and shapes in his arsenal of tools"!

This is just the ticket for some areas I want to clean up but haven't been able to reach before.

Thanks guys - I'm chuffed.