• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Where did the summer go?

mgblue79

...or Why didn't/won't you get what you wanted to done on the Spridget this year.
This year we decided to take the kids to the east coast and the west coast. Memorial day we went to Myrtle Beach and for the 4th of July (I was laid off that week) we went to Los Angeles, took the kids to Disney (Disney is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif) and cruised the Coast Highway through the South Bay with the top down and generally hung out in Redondo and Hermosa. Tomorrow the wife and I get away by ourselves (finally)for a week in Vegas...and that is the budget for the Midget and the Spit and part of the new garage. Great summer, though!
Who else spent the LBC budget on other things this year? Come on, admit it!

Country flag
Like... a new roof.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
I overshot the LBC budget, huge. To the point where since I've had it, and what I've spent has totalled $28.56 per mile. These kind of numbers are not shared with the Mrs.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Summer is still here in case you haven't noted it is only early Aug, and I know from many many years of experence down here it will last till the end of Sep or so.

Budget, what budget. Seems that a restoration is not done on a budget, not if you ever want to finish it.

Oh well, fun stuff starts next month. The assembly, durn I can't wait. Just to put one peice on will be such a joy. Just to go out to the garage and ponder the little car to consider what else needs to be done in what order. Bet I spend a lot of time just pondering. What I need is a good chair to ponder in, hehe.

Kurtis

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
So far, I've been lucky. No big LBC related expenses (unless you count my recent trip to the VTR convention in Dallas) and both cars are running great.

I do need some new interior bits for the Sprite, and I plan to paint it this winter... and maybe a new top... and tonneau... hmmm, and it needs new tires.

Where did the summer go? It's right dab in the middle of my shop.:smile: My shop has insulated reflective roof, I have a big wall exhaust fan and several big fans so I'm moving quite a bit of air around, I still hit 103 degrees twice this week, hottest summer around here since 2001, I saw a few 108s then. So I know exactly where summer is and will be glad to see him hit the road /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

RobSelina

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
I overshot the LBC budget, huge. To the point where since I've had it, and what I've spent has totalled $28.56 per mile.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. My spitfidget hasn't been that bad, but my old CJ was twice that!

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
Enjoy the warm weather while it lasts. Them heating bills will be here soon enough. I need to hurry up my outide projects so I can get back on the Midget in the basement when it cools off again. Although it never gets over about 73 in my basement because its half underground and its tempting to stay inside with the midget instead of outside where its 85 or 90 degrees. I wish it was done already, I could be riding up on the parkway where its cooler.

zimmy

Jedi Knight
haha, ive spent about $150 / miles this year, so far!...ouch! ; )
bet i get better MPG next year though! haha....i hope anyway...zzimmmyy

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Still hot here (90s up here, 100s down in the valley), but time has definitely flow by. Didn't really have a LBC budget, but I used the money I might have otherwise had available to buy my motorcycle. The advantage of having nothing to spend means that you have plenty of time to plan for the next spending spree!

Already starting to plan the winter Tunebug work. My garage is not particularly warm, but I should be able o get a few things accomplished before the real cold sets in in December.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
How about one of those old time space heaters?

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I've got a small space heater that works pretty well, but once it gets below zero outside, it just can't keep up. Might put in a pellet stove some year, to heat the garage a bit better. Down the list, but it's a possibility.

Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Where did the summer go?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was last week. On Tuesday, I think... and maybe a bit of Wednesday morning....

I don't have an LBC budget, its more of an LBC black hole....

Not having driven ANY miles yet in the car (how does sitting in it [making vroom-vroom noises 'cause the engine was still resting on the trailer] while it rolled 10 feet in the drive way count?) the cost/mile is astronomical....

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Shoot mine is all over the place.

Florida
Alabama
Wisconson
And where ever Moss and VB hang out.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I've spent plenty of time in the garage sitting in the Tunebug making little vroom-vroom noises. I can, however, also drive it around, at least close to home. Looked specifically for that when I bought it.

My budget is directly dependent how many gigs I can get in. My deal with my wife was that the car wouldn't cost money from the family budget, except for annual registration/insurance (cheap for an old car). It's a fair exchange, but during the slow months means that there's less funding. Probably the only thing I really like about the winter months here is that the ski tourists come to town and fund my car habit! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Do a gig for a garage heater.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Right now all the gigs are going to pay off what I borrowed from the family to buy the motorcycle. Next is the custom smaller steering wheel I've got in process--I'll have to pay for it when it's done, so I really should have some funding available. Should look nice, here's the latest general idea:

https://www.pbase.com/mdlempert/derringtonsprite

He agreed to modify this basic design to fit the Sprite, in a 14.5" size. More room is good.

Didn't do much work here on the car in the dead of winter, since I bought the Tunebug in March. I think my little electric space heater will be up to the task, at least during daylight hours. I've got some plans to blow in some insulation to the garage ceiling to help as well--one more for that lis of house stuff.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Oh, that's my man, gona have him do Miss Agathas wheel and shift knob as well.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Got the link from one of your earlier posts, and just coudn't resist. Was going to get a smaller wheel from Moss, but don't like the huge center ring they use. His stuff just looked so nice, and he's making a custom small center ring to use the original horn push. The "Le Mans" wheel he's making is really nice, but I wanted something smaller. That, and I like the little metal rivets on the rim--just the look I was gong for. Prices are surprisingly reasonable for custom work like this.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Oh, smaller center, now that I must see.

Good call Drew. When does he think he will have it ready?