• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

When did gloves become required for every job?

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Mine arrive on Tuesday
Have to change the drivers side axle on the Ody

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I have been watching a youtube video series - a guy from Holland restoring a 20's Citroen pickup (in English). Lovely short videos for a break. More to the point he is very conscientious about wearing safety gear - including a proper respirator even grinding metal. This is particularly relevant as I am increasingly aware of what happens when I don't do things like wearing a mask. Likewise, yes gloves keep those hands supple and smooth :rolleyes: but, with the various chemicals we use. safety first! (and of course, safety fast!)

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I don't know enough to really know, but I worry more about what I have breathed in than what my skin has been exposed too. Lots of second hand smoke, paint and chemical fumes, drywall dust, fiberglass strands and dust. Back in the day I wore those little paper masks--sometimes--I can't imagine they did much. I was working with insulation on my old house project and noticed I was having coughing and other issues. Started wearing a decent filtered mask around the stuff and heavy construction dust, I feel better at the end of the day. But I really can't even imagine all the crap I have breathed in over the years.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
And wear your safety glasses!
glasses.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
glemon said:
But I really can't even imagine all the crap I have breathed in over the years.

Yup-yup, me as well. Played with mercury as a kid, did work with asbestos, fiberglass, spray paints, ran with scissors... sheesh. "If I knew then..."

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I admit to not usually wearing gloves. I will wear gloves for certain jobs but most wrench I figure they aren't really needed.

maynard

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
IIRC, Harbor Freight has at least 3 different thicknesses. I find the thinnest tear too easily and the thickest takes away the feel I need when working.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
IIRC, Harbor Freight has at least 3 different thicknesses. I find the thinnest tear too easily and the thickest takes away the feel I need when working.

On the web site they list 4 thicknesses: 3mil, 5mil, 7mil and 9mil. The boxes I have currently are 7mil and I like them fine. Not so thick that you have no tactile feel but thick enough to not rip at the slightest provocation.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
On the topic of safety... gloves are great for keeping chemicals off our hands; make sure the glove is compatible with the chemical.

Also, gloves and rotating things often do not mix. Drill presses should not be used when wearing gloves, for example.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
"Also, gloves and rotating things often do not mix. Drill presses should not be used when wearing gloves, for example."

Did you learn this the hard way? Are there photos?

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Watch the POR-15, quite nasty stuff. Good, but nasty.

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I only wear them, nitrile or whatever they are when it's cold and out skydiving. Thin glove over those. Hate losing the dexterity. Never wear them any other time. Personal preference I guess.

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
All part of the personal protective gear - HF Nitrile 7 and 9mm gloves work best for Healey work; and often reusable. Don't like grease, oil and gunk under nails. 3M Face shield for grinding. Safety glasses and gloves for e-impact tools / ratchet. Considering ear protection next.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
"Also, gloves and rotating things often do not mix. Drill presses should not be used when wearing gloves, for example."

Did you learn this the hard way? Are there photos?

I am fortunate enough not to have learned the hard way. But a google search will show a lot of unfortunate examples where this was not the case.

Be safe!

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Expert mechanic friend is allergic to gas and oil. Always wears "rubber" gloves. Latex? Nitrile? I bought a box and now use them. Keeps that nasty stuff off you skin and doesn't affect your touch. On a related topic, football players all wear gloves now.