• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wheel Tire Camber

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Welcome back Randy!!

If the lower inner bushings are rubber, they should not be lubed. They should work by flexing, not by rotating.

If they're the stock rubber bushings and they aren't perished, they won't be squeaking.

If the lower inner bushings are not the problem, the lower outer, upper outer and sway bar bushings are all easy to lube..

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
I noticed the sway bar's end travel is hindered (on both sides) by the spring bar assembly. It's denting it.
What's the best way to correct that? Could I place a shim under both of the sway bar bushes to allow more travel?
IMG_3157 4.jpgIMG_3189.jpg

Last edited:
Country flag
That shouldn't be happening. Looks to me that the sway bar is rubbing against the bumper bracket; you should be able to adjust some clearance in there. You might want to try polyurethane bushes, they will stiffen up your suspension a little.

Edited: Didn't see the first photo.

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Place shims (pieces of 1/8" or 3/16" flat-bar w/holes for the mounting bolts) under the swaybar mounting brackets to give a bit more clearance and replace the rubber bushings.

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Place shims (pieces of 1/8" or 3/16" flat-bar w/holes for the mounting bolts) under the swaybar mounting brackets to give a bit more clearance and replace the rubber bushings.
Wanted to confirm that adding shims was ok. Sometimes fixing one problem may cause another problem somewhere else. As mentioned, I have replaced with new poly bushing about 6 months ago. Not sure why I didn't notice this.

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
That shouldn't be happening. Looks to me that the sway bar is rubbing against the bumper bracket; you should be able to adjust some clearance in there. You might want to try polyurethane bushes, they will stiffen up your suspension a little.

Edited: Didn't see the first photo.

Hey Bob, there is no adjustment for clearance. The bracket has oblong holes which lets it slide forward/back only. The bracket needs to be higher. Adding shims to lower the sway bar seems to be the fix. I'm wondering why I have this issue if most do not.

........Speaking of photos, I can't seem to upload them correctly. Once uploaded, they somehow get rotated. I've rotated this photo on my desktop all 4 ways. Loaded all 4 and BCF will rotate it to every position but the one I want, straight up like I took the photo. Is there a way to rotate the photos here once uploaded?

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
While you're at it, check to see if the metal strap of the mounting bushing is bent. In your first picture above, the outer flat part of the metal strap does not look to be parallel to the bar like it should be, and the bushing looks like it is distorted some. Could just be camera angle?

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
While you're at it, check to see if the metal strap of the mounting bushing is bent. In your first picture above the outer part of the metal strap does not look to be parallel to the bar like it should be, and the bushing looks like it is distorted some. Could just be camera angle?

I appreciate your eagle eye. I'll make sure it's not bent and straight. I'll post some more clear photos. Thank you.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Are the ends of the anti-sway bars horizontal, or do they rise as they go to the end links? Compared with the bottom of the frame, it looks like it turns up. You might have to have longer end links. I made new, longer links using a 6" grade 8 bolt and 1/8" pipe for a spacer between the inner bushing washers. Also, the bushings look distorted.

BoyRacer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
You said you replaced the bushings with poly about 6 months ago. Those sway bar bushings look like rubber... not poly. They look distorted and cracked.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
From the pic above, besides being stressed rubber as Richard says, it looks like the front of the frame rail may have been bashed in. If so, an adapter plate could be made to move the sway bar out away from the bumper mounts.

If it's flat like this dwg, just shim it enough to get the clearance you need.

screenshot.2049.jpg

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
You said you replaced the bushings with poly about 6 months ago. Those sway bar bushings look like rubber... not poly. They look distorted and cracked.

Sorry, I didn't clarify when I said I replaced the rubber bushing. I replaced the eight anti-roll bar link assembly bush links, 6 months ago with polyurethane. I need to replace the center sway bar rubber bushes.

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
From the pic above, besides being stressed rubber as Richard says, it looks like the front of the frame rail may have been bashed in. If so, an adapter plate could be made to move the sway bar out away from the bumper mounts.

If it's flat like this dwg, just shim it enough to get the clearance you need.

View attachment 61984

Practicing your engineering drawing skill I see. Nice.
As pointed out, because that area is dented, I've made plate shims out of stainless. I'll end up with a flat mounting surface, like it's suppose to have.

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'll bet the squeak will be gone when you have the bar shimmed so it doesn't rub on the bumper brackets anymore :smile:.

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
I'll bet the squeak will be gone when you have the bar shimmed so it doesn't rub on the bumper brackets anymore :smile:.
I was hopeful of that too. Once removed, I pushed on the fender, squeaks still there. I bought a mechanics stethoscope to help isolate the squeak. Again hopeful. Everything the stethoscope touched, had a squeak sound.

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Have you tightened all your fender attach bolts (especially any that are really hard to reach)? Not likley but remember, it's always the last thing you poke at that fixes the problem.

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Have you tightened all your fender attach bolts (especially any that are really hard to reach)? Not likley but remember, it's always the last thing you poke at that fixes the problem.
I have not considered that, but will.

This project is perplexing. I'm going to start a new thread.