• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What's with all the Engine Rebuild Failures?

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
While I have not yet had the need to remove, disassemble and major my Healey's engine since its last rebuild about 50K miles ago I have stood at the elbow of a local trusted mechanic while we disassembled and rebuilt the engines of both Elvas, the Courier being powered by an OHV MGA 1600 and the MK IV sportsracer powered by a SOHC Coventry Climax FWB 1490.

In both cases I assisted the mechanic by passing parts and tools to him as he proceeded to disassemble the engines, inspecting, measuring, assessing and sometimes photographing the various components preparatory to ordering necessary replacement parts and having whatever work done to the head, block, etc. (including outside machine shop work) before we proceeded to reassembly.

Having witnessed the teardown/reassembly of the MGA engine thrice and the Climax engine once I am happy to say that at this point I am NOT presently qualified to perform the mechanic's work. In all cases we proceeded according to factory manuals but it quickly became clear to me that he had knowledge of potential pitfalls, shortcuts, "tricks of the trade", etc. he had gained by having rebuilt many and diverse engines of all types over 40 years and I quickly understood that I would likely have early on come up against a problem I was not equipped to solve and/or made a mistake because all of the nuanced skills necessary are not spelled out in the manuals but rather are assumed to be within the mechanic's knowledge base.

Bottomline I am a result-oriented person and am fortunate that I can afford the services of someone who knows his way through the process of achieving the results I desire. I try to know my limitations and realize that while I am learning I am not yet there.

D

Deleted member 21878

if cleanliness is #1, and i believe it is. 2nd is have a good place to do the work. a clean place with controlled temperature and humidity. keeps the parts from surface rust and getting dirty again while they wait for you to get them all installed. i would not do this again without having a room set up. in fact i think that is going to be my next project.

Also agree with MO on the manual not having the details for novices. That is why these forums are so great. this is my 5th car of one brand or another (post internet) and each one i end up doing a little more of the work. would not have happened without the help.

Mike Tobin

Freshman Member
Country flag
I'll let y'all know when I finally get it started. Now that the weather's warmed up and the frustration level is back down it's safe to start working again. Back to the timing chain so pulling the radiator (again) is the next step. But that will allow me to get a shroud soldered on - not on the car when I got it long ago and far away.

At least this makes me feel better - I'm not alone.