• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What was it?

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Ok, so I apologize for not getting a picture, but I'm hoping a description may help.

I was driving my Sprite through the backroads of western Howard County (Maryland) and came across another sports car that appeared to be of 60s vintage. Here's what I can tell you:

It superficially resembled an E-Type Jaguar in that it was a fastback coupe. In fact, my first thought was that it was an E-type, but it seemed larger and far less slick looking than the E-type. The front end was not as round

The car had no identifying marks that I could pick out. I got a good look at the rear. The taillights looked like E-type taillights, but the turn signals were almost parallel with the bottom of the rear window, too high up the rear fascia to be from an E-Type - which is right on the bumper. It had the exhaust tips below the rear license plates coming out of a pair of dual trumpets. The entire rear was flatter and less curvy than an E-type and you didn't have the fender flares.

Worst case is that I may just have to spend more time traversing the back roads in that area to find the car again. Rats. (obvious sarcasm is intentional)

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Jensen Interceptor?

4667891150_320de6e4a8_o.jpg

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Jensen is closer, but this cars fastback sloped right to the end.

I keep thinking it may have been an E-type that was modified. Maybe it was later a 2+2 that someone tried to "backdate" to an earlier model. The turn signals were identical in shape, but not in placement, to the E-type. The thing is I know E-types well and there's no way I'd mistake one for anything else.

If it was a Toyota 2000, I would have followed the guy just so I could get a much closer look at it. Maybe I should have stuck with him instead of turning off?

Flash_Harry

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
An older Marcos, maybe?

Tiger

Jedi Warrior
Near Pfeffercorn Road? (not that it's germane...)

No idea... Kellison?
Kellison_J6_Factory_Panther_Race_Car_Tribute_For_Sale_Rear_resize.jpg

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Early 60s Marcos is a closer resemblance. The Kellison would be closer if the taillights were above the cars beltline.

I spotted the car making when I was making a left from Daisy Road to Jennings Chapel Road. I then happily gave chase until I turned onto Howard Chapel Road to take me back towards Montgomery County. Those are nice roads...it gives me an excuse to take the Sprite out for some exercise in that area.

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
I think I finally identified the mystery car: Bristol 407 or 408 Zagato. Now, if the weather would only break long enough for me to do some "surveillance" on the back roads to see if I can find it again.

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Finally got a positive ID on the mystery car: a Vetta Ventura

Vetta66Ventura10.jpg

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
wow - one I have never heard of - looks lovely!

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
I saw the eBay one on Bring-A-Trailer, and it hit me "Holy cow, that's the car!" Well, not that exact car, but you get my point.

Now I want to go find that car again!

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Hand made in Dallas, only 19 made and changes between each model. Not that far from me though, but there is a ton of sheet metal replacement and fabrication work to do. Even part of the chassis has to be refabricated. Drive train, who knows! Probably have 60,000 in it before your done. To me it's way over priced, maybe 10,000 or less would be more realistic? It is in a pretty deplorable condition, haven't seen a vehicle in that poor condition for a very long time. Looks like it was setting close to a stock yard, everything rots like being dipped in acid.
Actually, one in beautiful condition sold for under 30,000. :nightmare: PJ
View attachment 42276

Country flag
Apollo GT. Dad had one, my brother has it now. Its number 18. There's one on ebay right for $19,800 and its a total rust bucket. Company went under in late 60s, some Texas millionaire bought the company and remaining cars. Renamed cars Vetta Ventura, changed from Buick 215 v8 to Chevy 350 v8.
Marv