• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What voltage regulator?

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Trying to figure out which voltage regulator to buy.. Out of my Nissan Serena
it may also have the Bosch PN 3165143120255
There are a bunch of different regulators on Amazon which may be correct or maybe not :oops:

and a bunch more...

1643535912666.png

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Probably best to narrow it down without Amazon - and then if necessary order from Amazon. Rock Auto doesn't carry Serena parts (unless it is badge engineered) but googling the year and the part could be a start.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'd go with checking the alternator make/model and go from that. I'll assume a Denso under license (Bosch)? Try "brush pack" as another search term.

EDIT: Just sniffed a bit, looks like Hitachi is another possible alternator?

Last edited:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
What year Nissan? And engine displacement. Can't find the model "Serena" listed.

OP

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
What year Nissan? And engine displacement. Can't find the model "Serena" listed.
2002 LD23 engine 2.3L Serena was a Japan/Europe and a few others minivan.... It also used to have a review... which called it the worst passenger vehicle ever, and tractor like not meant as a compliment. I actually read that before buying it and I still love it. How could I not love a mid engine noisy diesel minivan. I think I should look for the alternator part number. That might work better.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Should be an ID plate or decal on the unit. Better to use that than the make/model info, methinks... or that's the way I'd approach it.

OP

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Think I figured it out. It is the same alternator as many Mercedes of the time... and following what Amazon claims works for the Mercedes.. ACDelco E675A came up with a bunch of compatible regulators - including the original Bosch.. So that does seem to be the correct and the Hella 5DR 004 241-121 or 242-061 should work according to this chart and Amazon thinks a few other versions will work on their compatibility chart.
1643614838532.png

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Beats th' heck outta buying a reman! 👍

And a suggestion: Check and clean the bands the brushes run on. A cotton ball or piece of cotton cloth just dampened with CRC 2-26 or other tuner cleaner/lube. Good insurance, IYSWIM.

EDIT: I did have to get a reman unit for Diesela a few years ago, the original owner trusted some jack-leg outfit to work on the car, they cobbled some aftermarket alternator to work by mangling the brackets and adjuster. Now it will be SERVICE the correct alternator next time it needs it.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Sounds like a perfect example of DPO, Doc.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Sounds like a perfect example of DPO, Doc.
Agree. I ended up having to replace the adjusting bracket to make things right.

It's highly likely the PO never even opened the hood on this car. Trusted some unscrupulous outfit(s) to work on it post-warranty. I've found and corrected a number of really bodged "repairs" over time. Vacuum system lines in particular were a 'dog-pile' of a mess.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Hoo boy, if it's anything like my old Benz, the vacuum system is a genuine nightmare.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
At least the wipers are electric! :LOL:

OP

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Finally got the new regulator in... got the Hella 5DR 004 241-121 but it looks like at least 3 or 4 different Hella regulators with slightly different part numbers are all identical. Not much left of the carbons. The little mini ratchet sure came in handy getting the regulator in without pulling the alternator out.
I let it run for a bit and the voltage when running is now up to about 13.5 but then the battery is really low, hopefully will come up a bit as it charges.

1645012661980.png

1645012644804.png

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Tight quarters!

I've an early (late '60's) Chapman "Gun Screwdriver Set" used for decades in situations like that. They're still in business, looks like their range of tools has expanded. This seems to be the same set: Chapman MFG. USA

Takes 1/4" hex shank bits. Bailed me out plenty of times. 😉

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Chapman makes an excellent set of drivers and bits. They've also started producing an incredibly thin driver handle that'll fit into nearly any place that comes standard with their sets now.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
70Hearald, glad to see you found the fix!

And, Doc, Walter, thanks for the info on Champman. Functional tools, made in USA, at a reasonable price. I need to figure out how to best drop hints to my wife for an upcoming birthday!

OP

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Stupid battery was dead again today.... and it looks like the regulator might not have been the problem. If I was less stubborn I would just get a rebuilt alternator.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Geez. Something gotta be a drain. Have you been able to check output at the battery terminals for a 13V+ as the engine is running? I know you saw it right after you swapped the brush set but there must be something else going on!