• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Victory!

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
Ok, guys. Today was the day. I was tired yesterday and took a couple of pain pills for my knee and all and slept until my dad rang the doorbell at 11:00. I had to hurry and get dressed cause my dad was wanting to get on with it. We rolled the midget outside the garage door and I connected the battery and it spun over well but as we say around here "it would not hit a lick". Had plenty of gas. checked with at meter at the coil and no touch and go with the 12v as the motor was spun. I checked the hot to ground and it was 12v so I had no negative, Something in the distrubutor. Checked the points and they did not look so good as they were used from before. Changed out the points. Still not negative touch and go to coil. Sanded brand new points and had the negaive and fire from coil. spun it over and all we got was some serious explosions out the exhaust pipe. Turned distributor and still the same thing. I think maybe we are 180 out but I know I checked it all and checked agiain. Removed dist and the housing(no bloody room in there). I checked the dist gear that the big half of the slotted end was on top and pointed at 2oclock with #1 at TDC. All was good. Then I checked my dist and found the problem. I had put the slotted end on 180 out. I had went by the slot cut on top for the rotor and this is 180 from the brass contact on the button. Removed pin and changed that around. Reinstalled dist. Now engine runs! but only on 3 cylinders! We unplug plug wires and find that #1 is missing, changed plug still missing. I go through the entire valve lash procedure and double check all are at .010 and all are close. What the heck it going on. Finally I check firing order and plug wires. I have the lucas cap where all wires come out the side. I look at rotor with #1 at tdc and find that I had the plug wires all wrong (amazed that I was running on 3 before). I strightend out the plug wire deal and touch the key and it fires right up. I set the timing by ear, set the idle and the mixture screw (weber) and it purrs, and with the straight pipe has a good chime to it. My dad and I pile in and with no seats, not even the nut that holds the steering wheel on, and go for a ride up and down the drive. It was wonderful. All the stuff that I made for the 5 speed conversion worked out well. All I bought was the adapter plate and a 5speed and made the rest myself. Hoo boy, I love it. Now all I want to do it start it up. Don't want to get back to bodywork.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Excellent!

(and yeah, I know what you mean by driving a Sprite with no seats....I've been just as impatient at times /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif )

Morris

Yoda
WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!

(teach to put the dizzy on high on pain pills) /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

OP
regularman

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
I cannot share the pills, sorry /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif I'm sure the pills had worn off by this morning,but I slept the sleep of Oxycodone /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif I'm back on my knee machine at the moment, But I am tempted to get the mavica and go take a 15 second video of the midget running outside. I was just so happy, had oil pressure, water temp went to normal, alternator conversion worked and amp hand temporoarily installed worked fine. clutch, shifted through all gears, rear diff was quiet. Its just wonderful.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Outstanding job, good your you. Ain't it fine when they sing.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
WOOHOO! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

There's nothing like a little drive, even if it's just up and down the street with no seats. Can't wait for some video.

Bruce_B

Jedi Warrior
Congrats! I know the feeling. Some of my best drives have been up and down the driveway sitting on a bench.

bugimike

Yoda
Awsome, Kim /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif !! You're gonna be itchin' to take her out now /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif !! LOVE that "custom" seat man /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif ! Lookin' gooood!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif Sounds SWEEET!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

bugimike

Yoda
Livin' on the edge!! Don't wreck it in the driveway now, hehehe!!!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks for sharing. It really does run!