• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General Tech VHT Flame Proof Header Paint

Joe Reed

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Anyone tried this stuff? The label says it's a silica ceramic coating good for 1300-2000 degrees F. That's quite a jump from the temp claims of other high temp paints.

According to the instructions, you can cure it on the car by running the engine at idle for 10 minutes, let it cool for 20....then idle for 20, let it cool for 20....then run the car for 30 minutes and let it cool. Sounds promising. I'm sure it won't compare to Jet-Hot or similar ceramic powder coatings, but maybe it'll be worth the effort. I'm gonna try the flat black....

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
VHT is a pretty good brand. I've used their wrinkle finish paint on the GT dash and valve covers with good results. Sure can't hurt to try it. Let us know how it works out.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Joe,
I used it on my MGB exhaust manifold and I had access to a curing oven. I doubt there would be very much difference between the two methods of curing and I'm very pleased with the results.
Rut

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 64

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Joe,
I used it on my MGB exhaust manifold and I had access to a curing oven. I doubt there would be very much difference between the two methods of curing and I'm very pleased with the results.
Rut

If you have a fireplace, hang it in front; that's what I did with the dash and valve covers. Came out perfectly!

PICT0396.jpg

OP
Joe Reed

Joe Reed

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I'm actually going to paint mine ON the car. It may not be a perfect job, but this car is just a driver - not a restoration project. At least with a Weber it only take a few minutes to remove and replace the intake to give access...

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I've used similar high-temperature exhaust paints, not the VHT, a couple of times. One thing I learned was that you must do a good job of rust removal or the paint will eventually--sooner, not later--start to flake off. This means you might have to remove the header, but that's not really difficult; might be worth the effort in the long run.

Also, don't be worried if it smokes a lot and is a little stinky first time you fire up the car after painting the header. That will stop in a few minutes.

OP
Joe Reed

Joe Reed

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
My manifold is pretty clean as it is. It was previously painted with some of the older type of high temp paint. I did wire brush it and virtually nothing came off.

I plan to paint and cure it this weekend...

OP
Joe Reed

Joe Reed

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Painting is done. Here's the "before" pic (I forgot to take one before I started masking). The paint that was on there was done 12 years ago, most likely with whatever silver VHT paint that was available at that time.
Manifold_Before.JPG

Here''s what it looks like done in flat black (ignore the dirty engine compartment).
Manifold_After.JPG

And here it is with the intake reinstalled. I like the fact that the flat black pretty much makes the exhaust manifold disappear.
Manifold_Completed.JPG

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Joe, I used VHT paint on my manifold and it is holding up very well, I see no difference in it and it's been on for 10 months. Of course my car is never run in the wet and sets in a dry environment. I would use it again if I do another manifold. PJ
View attachment 41554

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Tha cleans up the manifold nicely. Well done. Will be curious to see how it holds up.

OP
Joe Reed

Joe Reed

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
One thing I should mention is that, during the curing process, this paint produces very little smoke and smell.....WAY less that other header paint I've used....

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
VHT is a pretty good brand. I've used their wrinkle finish paint on the GT dash and valve covers with good results. Sure can't hurt to try it. Let us know how it works out.

Pretty sure I used VHT on the manifold of Ms Triss - it never took - the lesson of which (I suspect) is follow the curing instructions to the letter - don't ask me how I came to that conclusion! :p

OP
Joe Reed

Joe Reed

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thought I'd post an update on this paint now that I've had time to put some miles on the car.

So far, so good! Other black header paint I've used in the past has pretty quickly started turning white - especially near the head. This paint is still black on the entire manifold...so it was certainly worth the effort....

OP
Joe Reed

Joe Reed

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Would Jethot it and be done. Does the inside and out.

That would certainly be the better choice....but I wouldn't have been able to start and finish the job the same day and be back driving the car in a couple of hours...for under $10

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Joe,
I love the VHT paint and it holds up really well. I sand blasted my exhaust manifold and used the curing process in a powder coat oven at a local shop.
Rut

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 54

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
VHT when cured properly is a good coating. I only touch up every few years.