• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Vendor rant

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I just layed out some pretty good money for a suspension rebuild on my TR4. I know I'm ranting a little early because I don't even have the parts in yet, but I'm annoyed so here goes:

I ordered new rear leaf springs from Moss, along with a bunch of other stuff that was a big enough order to warrant free shipping. Dummy me, I didn't hit the "no backorders" button because I wasn't too concerned about waiting a little extra if something wasn't in right away. Big mistake.

I just received the shipping confirmation, and to my surprise and annoyance everything was shipped, except for one rear leaf spring. Of course the other rear leaf spring was on its way. Now I have visions of waiting 6 months to get the other spring, finding it mismatched from the one already sent, spending ridiculous money to send everything back,etc.etc.

As I said, I'm ranting early, but now I feel better! My learning here though, is that even though we have some pretty darned good suppliers, they are big businesses and not friendly neighborhood shops (unless you actually live next to them!), and it is not a good idea to assume that they will use common sense.

Okay, rant off. Hope everyone has a good Easter.
Randy.

D

Deleted member 3577

I spent $14.00 to next day a 97 cent washer......(oil line Cu washer)

2 days later I called MoMo to find out where it was.

They said it was back ordered........I said cancel it.......They said too late, it went out this morning.

Anyone want it........I'm tired of seeing it.
(I had to make one at the last minute)

TR_Jim

Jedi Trainee
Seems to be the same no matter who you deal with. I wanted a Magic Clutch Kit from TRF...not in stock. Do you have any 3-piece clutch kit?...not in stock. I need 8 nuts and bolts for the drive shaft flanges...not in stock. How long before they are in stock?...2-3 weeks. The last time I heard that I waited 8 months and finally canceled the order. Question? Why are all these items in your Spring parts sale if they aren't in stock?...don't know.

So. I'll probably have to deal with 3 vendors just to get the parts to change a clutch. Life is wonderful...if you don't need parts!

Winston

Jedi Trainee
Please don't say Magic clutch kit and 8 months in the same breath!
I'm waiting after being told 2 weeks.
Anybody from TRF out there please , please let me know if there is a problem.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I always thought that it would be a good idea for the big suppliers to monitor these sites for feedback and improvement ideas they get from our tales of woe.
don

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I always thought that it would be a good idea for the big suppliers to monitor these sites for feedback and improvement ideas they get from our tales of woe.
don

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about this Forum, but I do know that a couple of Moss people (and sometimes a TRF person or two) do monitor some of the other Triumph e-mail lists. I also know that both of those vendors are actually somewhat approachable, i.e., you can call and talk to them and possibly get actual answers to actual questions.

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Although I tend to go with TRF for the most part, the items I have ordered from Moss that get kicked to back order do get shipped pretty quickly... I've had things from TRF stay on back order for months, but they do seem to be getting better here lately.

G

Not to beat up one any one vendor but....man TRF has the worst backorder history of any auto parts supplier I've ever used. I know they try to carry nicer quality stuff than some of the other places but in my mind it's just not worth it. It seems 3/4 of the things I order from them are backordered. I waited 2 months for my interior panel kit from them a few years back when I redid my interior, and 3 months for the trunk panel kit. I ordered a lousy baseball hat once, even that was backordered for so long I forgot about it. Months later when I made an order for something else they informed me I still had an open order for it. I asked if they were in yet, they said no, I said cancel it. I've been lucky so far with Moss, most I've ever waited for an item from them was 2 weeks.

TR_Jim

Jedi Trainee
The real problem I have with TRF is that they seem to have a standard answer for when backorders will be filled...2-3 weeks. I ordered a set of wheel trim rings for my Spit6 last April. I was told at the time I placed the order it would be two weeks. I called once a month for the next 7 months and got the same answer every time...2-3 weeks. I finally cancelled after 8 months and found the rings from a hub cap site online. So when TRF tells me an item will be backordered I go somewhere else.

Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Please don't say Magic clutch kit and 8 months in the same breath!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not so bad... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif

Back in the mid '70s I ordered a tachometer drive gear for my '64 MGB, pre-paid from a British Leyland dealer... it came 19 months later- they claimed it had to wait until a batch was specially made back in ol' Blighty.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

'Course you might need a clutch a little more than a 'tach if you want to go some place.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Please tell me if you've ordered it with the Gunst bearing? I'm a little curious about something and yes, there is a major problem with the Gunst bearings that has cost me two transmission removals with a third coming up next winter.
TRF and Mr. Gunst himself are denying it, but my shop and I know better and so will a lot more people if I don't get some satisfaction next week.

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Paul,

I have a Gunst getting ready to go back in for the second time (not because of the bearing, but adding an overdrive). Why did the Gunst cause you to take out your tranny so many times?

Rob_T

I recieve a post card a few weeks back, from TRF saying that my parts that had been on BO (for almost 2 years) were now available, but my CC that was on file was no longer valid. I had changed companies in the interum. When I called I was told they couldn't find my order, even though I had the post card with the order number on it!
Finally, they found the order but I was told the price had gone up since it was placed on BO.....almost double! After at least 1/2 an hour on the phone, trying to find my oder and trying to get the correct prices, I cancelled the order.
While I agree, generally TRF has a better grade of parts, the hassle isn't worth it. I'm still trying to decide if I want to get the Magic Carpet Kit from them, I've seen it a Triumphest show...I does look fantastic. If I do it will probably the last time I will order from them.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Hayfever

Jedi Trainee
I can't say enough how much easier it is sometimes to deal with smaller companies than the Big 3, just as others here do. Personally I use a reseller for everything for the TVR, TR6, and Sunbeam, and recommend him to all my friends, though others here seem to like other companies. My reseller runs interference with all the vendors, finds me parts from other companies if there are problems with the main supplies, and even deals with people I can't stand to talk to (like ordering me roller rockers from a performance parts vendor in Ohio with rather strong opinions). The only time since 2000 that my father & I've bought direct from a Big 3 vendor is when we ordered a SU conversion kit from Moss for the TR6. One of the float bowl caps was cracked and it took 6 calls and 3 parts shipments over 6 months to get the right cap, because after all, Moss couldn't be bothered to open a set in the warehouse to compare. Relating this story to Doug, he told me he had the cap I needed right in his barn. Oh, and I don't think I've paid the list price on anything I've ever bought from him plus he has used and NOS parts for the hard to find stuff.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I deal with Moss most of the time because of the TRF backorder situation. If there are some items that I really need, I make a PHONE CALL to Moss and they can instantly tell you the status of a part. They have been very accomadating on the phone, and there's nothing like talking to a real person. Also, their backorder estimates are a lot closer then TRF's. If they don't know when something will come in they will tell you that. At least that has been my experience.

Give Moss a call, I'm sure they can give you some answers and straighten out concerns /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif

OP
TR4nut

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
That is a good point on calling Moss. I've slipped into doing everything on the internet, in fact I can't think of a single part other than consumables at Pep Boys where I haven't purchased in front of the computer, usually at 9 or 10 at night. Way back before we had the internet like it is I did everything by phone and TRF was also very good at telling me the status before I ordered.

But I'm still ticked about that one leaf spring though!
Randy

rporter

Freshman Member
Country flag
Had a rubber seal for back window for hardtop on order forever from TRF and finally gave up and got one from the UK. However I ordered a new windshield which arrived broken. No questiones asked I had a new one in a week with the broken one picked up. I like TRF but when I had an MG I liked Moss. Both try but sometimes things just are not in stock. I am just glad to have some alternative sources for parts for 30 year old cars.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I've noticed that about TRF also (BO's).
I usually call British Parts NW first.Only had one instance of a BO.

- Doug

Paul Johnson

Jedi Warrior
I'd say relax. Moss sometimes backorders items, but they have never charged me freight when that part was sent, and the wait has never been long.

Winston

Jedi Trainee
We don't have a lot of choice in the matter , the last LBC parts business closed about 15 years ago here in Des Moines,French for "Where the Rivers join".
There are a couple of guy's around that will kinda know what's up.
Basil and his 6000 + followers, well we're just plain lucky most of the time unless competely prepared for the task at hand.
In re: to my original 8 month clutch concern I think it's imperative for those employees of the big three that do monitor the site understand some of us have to save a few bucks before we order.
You can probably find your clutch locally if your prepared to press the throwout bearing yourself,(turning while pressing)but IMHO that's why we lose alot of clutches before their time.
Mr. Runyan, of TRF ,one would hope would take note that many customer's are concerned and there may be a significant increase in orders, because the job is done correctly at his shop.
I've not ordered from any other supplier since I found our little beast.I hope he has the ability to provide the service's we all desire.
In the meantime the clock is running and I will have a clucth sent from Carolina and it will be installed pretty much within rate, (gotta take the wifeanimal into account), and always try to remember, if you're gonna run 'em you're gonna wreck 'em.
So let's all have a safe driving season and hope for the best from the vendors.
Still in all I sure would like my Magic cluctch kit Santa.