• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Vancouver

JBlubaugh

Hi-

Are there any board members from the Vancouver area?

Thanks,
Jim

Country flag
We are. We are heading up 395, just down the hill from Tahoe where we live, and over to Altures (Spelling ain't right) for the first stop. A bunch of guys are going up Interstate 5 stopping in Cottage Grove for their stop over. Some guys are heading up the coast all the way.

Country flag
Passed through there just over a week ago. Hit a sudden snowstorm on 395 just north of Burns, OR (there's a short detour around 395 through Burns, BTW--one of the locals said they had to 'cut a hole' in the road to drain water from recent excessive rains). My BJ8 was OK until the snow got an inch or two thick, then lost traction. Pretty scary trying to get her turned around on a blind corner on a narrow mountain road with deep ditches on either side. Anyway, it looked like that would have been a great Healey Road if it hadn't been snowing.

Alturas isn't particularly scenic. They have a rodeo or something there about this time of year so get hotel reservations. The worst hotel I ever had to stay at was in Alturas.

Country flag
I've been caught in the snow a few times in the Healey and actually felt it did very well considering no chains and I'm use to big 4 wheel drives. We have reservations at a Best Western there. I hope that isn't where you stayed.

Country flag
My tire tread was low (time for new rubber). Was doing fine then the car just decided to yaw about 30deg to the left. Couldn't control it and barely got it turned around to hightail out of there.

5814272810_5ce04dca17_b.jpg

The BW should be fine (they always are). We got stuck there during some sort of event and had to stay at a dump on the edge of town.

OP
J

JBlubaugh

I have an interior for a BT7 being worked on at shop in the city and getting a bit of a run-around on it. Was hoping someone lived in the city and might be able to pop in and give me a visual.

6-8 week job has turned into 16 weeks and counting with relations quickly going south. Partial shipment received, parts missing, parts built incorrectly. Phone calls and emails not being returned.

It's going to get ugly really quick.

Thanks,
Jim

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
richch said:
Sounds like somebody needs to learn how to drive in snow.

Yep that is real easy"--DON'T !!!!-Keoke--- :laugh:

Country flag
richch said:
Sounds like somebody needs to learn how to drive in snow.

Agreed I don't get much practice here in the perpetually sunny CA Bay Area, but I've learned to live with that handicap.

I was going slow and steady, in a higher gear than normal for my speed--3rd, IIRC--so as not to apply too much torque to the rear wheels and holding the wheel straight with just enough turn to follow the road, and the car started to yaw left with no input from me. I was unable to correct the yawing so we came to a stop and decided we didn't want to risk that road for another 30 miles or so (with the hood down, no less).

What did I do wrong? Like I said my tire tread was low and that didn't help, but I've driven in the snow in my Healey before and was able to manage it.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
What did I do wrong? Like I said my tire tread was low and that didn't help,

:savewave:

Drove in the snow.----- :laugh: