• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General TR Valvoline VR Racing motor oils $3 / quart

TomChar

Country flag
Good morning all,

I don't claim to be any kind of expert on motor oils, but I've been using the Valvoline VR Racing oils in my TR6 as it's rated for use in flat tappet camshaft engines, with one of the highest zinc contents. Anyway, yesterday I was at my local Autozone here in the Philadelphia area getting my winter oil (if the sky & roads are clear, I'm driving it!), and found they had the full synthetic VR oils in 10-30 & 20-50 on sale at $3 a quart. It not listed as a sale, but the normal price is $5.99 for the non-synthetic fluids. Needless to say, my store is sold out and I'm covered for oil changes through 2018.

Just thought I'd pass this along to everyone.
Cheers Tom

dklawson

Yoda
Thanks for the heads up. I use VR1 and bought a case last time it was on sale at our local AutoZone. I'll check to see if our store has it on sale like yours and stock up again. Maybe I'll put a bow on one of the bottles and stick it under the Christmas tree as a gift to me (and my cars).

OP
TomChar

TomChar

Country flag
Stopped back in today, and all VR1 oils, both conventional and synthetic, were $2 / qt. This is in Glenolden, PA, west of Phila. The manager said he didn't understand why it was so cheap, possibly an over-stock elsewhere and it was being dumped here. I'm now set until sometime in 2021! I need to get another LBC! :D

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I'll check tomorrow in Lancaster.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Unfortunately, not here in West L.A. Boo.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The local Autozone had ten quarts of synthetic VR1 (20-50) @ $2.00 each.
I have always used conventional oil. Am I looking for trouble or damage if I switch to the synthetic?

OP
TomChar

TomChar

Country flag
No matter what anybody says, synthetics are still made from crude oil, they just have a much more advanced refining process, where more impurities are removed, and the remaining components are better tailored to the specific application. They can handle higher temps before breaking down and provide improved lubrication, so technically you should see higher oil change intervals, although I doubt any of us drive our cars enough in a year to see that benefit.

Down side? If you have any oil leaks, it'll leak more. It won't harm gaskets or anything, it just doesn't thicken up like conventional oils do over time, and maintains its viscosity over a wider temperature range. I run 20-50 in the summer, and just switched to 10-30 for the winter. Very noticeable cold cranking speed increase in the mornings.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks for the heads up, Tom !
While in McComb Mississippi today I found a few bottles of "conventional" still on the rack for 2 bucks each.

EricG

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks for the info! I bought about two dozen quarts at $2 each which was all they had. Bargain price but bad news is that AutoZone will no longer be keeping it in stock-they were my local supply source.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
No matter what anybody says, synthetics are still made from crude oil, they just have a much more advanced refining process, where more impurities are removed, and the remaining components are better tailored to the specific application.
There was actually a court decision many years ago now, to the effect that almost any oil from a modern refinery can be called "synthetic". The term is effectively meaningless, kind of like "fresh frozen fish".

Down side? If you have any oil leaks, it'll leak more.
True in some cases, not all. I have never seen an increase in leaks when using the same grade of Valvoline synthetic; in fact in one case it dramatically reduced oil consumption. But when I tried Mobil 1, it did leak like crazy. Consumption went back down
after going back to Valvoline full synthetic.

I need to check the local AZ (tho I've heard they don't have it on sale). If I could get VR1 synthetic for $2/qt, I'd definitely use it instead of the conventional VR1 I'm running now.

dklawson

Yoda
I finally visited the AutoZone closest to my house. I bought 12 quarts of 20W50, 4 of 5W20, and one of 30W. All were just $2/quart. These are great oil prices for our classic cars and our daily drivers. I hope everyone can check their local AutoZone before this sale ends.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Ditto. 10 bottles of 20w50, 2 more of straight 50wt. Sad to see them not stock it anymore though.

dklawson

Yoda
Even though the VR1 was marked "clearance" (which implies it won't be stocked anymore) don't be surprised if it continues to appear on their shelves. I still had a couple of quarts of 20W50 left over from a previous sale about two years ago. They have run this sale before.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
When I bought some last week the guy at Autozone said they were dropping the product.

dklawson

Yoda
Maybe they are dropping it this time. However, I will continue to watch for it on their shelves.

There was a furniture store around here that held a going out of business sale... for more than 5 years.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Yeah 5 more today. Excellent tip!

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thanks for the tip. Around here in Northeastern Ohio there is mostly straight 50w left and I've been everywhere. Picked up some 10/30 and 10/50 bottles. Can it be blended the straight 50w with something to make it work in my cars around here?