• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Troubleshoot a TR6 Fuel gauge problem

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Noticed this weekend that my fuel gauge is not registering correctly. Between Sunday and today I put in about 7 gallons which should take it past the 1/2 way mark.
Currently it only reads about a 1/4 tank.
What is the best way to troubleshoot it?
I assume the voltage regulator is working since my temp gauge works. I have not (yet) checked the connections to the sender so that will be first on my list.
It is a PITA as you know to pull the sending unit...
What is the best way to proceed to track it down?

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
One way is ground the wire on the sender. The gauge should go to full. If it does, the problem is likely in the sender. Tom

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thanks Tom I'll give that a try.

Country flag
Elliot,
Not that bad to pull the sending unit. I did it last week in about 15 minutes. Remove the filler cap, push the rubber fitting down as far as it it go, remove the 6 mounting bolts and gently but with some force tilt the tank back. You should be able to unscrew the sender and pull it out. Once its out remove the cover by gently pushing the 3 tabs back. You can see the wire and guide. Use an ohmmeter to make sure you have continuity on the board. BUT first as Tom says, put the two wires together, turn on the ignition. Gauge should go to full fairly quickly. If not, you may have voltage issue.

Marv

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Marv-
Hummmm, you are talking about a 6, right?
The fuel gauge has been working up until now. I don't suspect its a voltage problem since the temp gauge is working and it is fed off of the same voltage regulator.
Tomorrow I will indeed ground the sending unit to see if it goes to "full". Thanks for your input.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
OK... just grounded the wire on the sending unit and the gauge does go go Full.... Thanks Tom.
I guess now I will be and pulling the sending unit. Thanks again Marv for the details on removing it.
Anyone have any experience on where to get a replacement? I just want to be sure and source a good replacement so I only have to install it once!
Thanks again guys for the help.

DanB

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
All the usual suspects have replacements. TRF, Moss, Vicky, etc. They are the same on TR4-6. After you get it out you may be able to clean it up and get it to work. Use an ohm meter through the range of motion to check the resistance as you move the float. If you clean it up and it looks like it works on the ohm meter, hook it up to the wires and move the float, watching your fuel gauge move, if it does.

Another thought....it may need to be adjusted. Do that by bending the wire.

Dan B
S. Charleston, WV
66 TR4A IRS EFI
80 TR7 DHC

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Dan, not so fast Kemo Sabe.
Since He's in Dutch country, he'll probably go that route.
I had to get mine from Moss this summer as No body had the gasket.
Or did I get it from TRF.
Well only one had the gasket and sending unit.And I got it from them

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I plan on pulling it tomorrow and have a look first before I purchase a new one. The thought occurred to me this afternoon that it is possible that the float has cracked and is weighted down with fuel thereby not allowing it to float.
Yeah, I know it's a long shot, but I'll get it out and inspect it first before I order the new one.
Won't be getting it from the road...... (that's all I can say).

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
If that's the case you can always buy the replacement Ford float

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Elliot,

I think we had a thread here a while back about float replacements if that is it. I seem to recall you could use a Ford brass replacement float.

Here's the thread:
TR6 replacement float thread

Scott

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I don't know if the TR6 is like the TR4A, but you can snag the float/arm through the filler and pull it up, that would verify if it a problem with the float not floating.

That Ford float looks like it might also work on the TR8, I suspect that is why my gauge won't go over 3/4. I will be pulling it out (along with the tank) any day now.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I don't think it's possible to snag the float through the filler neck... I'll certainly investigate that tomorrow.
The Ford brass float looks perfect... thanks for the heads-up!
I assume it will fit from reading the other post.
Now here's the other thing I found... one vendor sells the float for $18 and another vendor sells it for $5--- that is crazy!
I can't be sure they are exact, but they sure as heck look identical!
First things first... I need to get it out and see what the problem is.

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Gliderman8 said:
Now here's the other thing I found... one vendor sells the float for $18 and another vendor sells it for $5--- that is crazy!

I also found one on eBay for $11, but it had free shipping, so might end up cheaper than the $5 one, depending on what they charge for shipping.

Country flag
You can easily grab the float thru the open gas filler. Bad thing is the rod can move but the arm inside the box is locked up and doesn't move. I just did this job last week. Save time and remove the sending unit. If its not twisted inside, you can repair it. I have spare floats if you need one.

Pm me if you want, I'll give you my phone number and walk you thru the repair.

Marv

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Gliderman8 said:

Well, as my Pappy used to say, there's a certain price for quality hay. Of course, it's somewhat cheaper after it's been through the horse!

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You may be right Randall but I'm betting that the two floats are made in the same (far east :wink: ) factory.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Update... I just removed the sending unit (Thanks Marv).
As I suspected the float was 3/4 full with fuel... :madder:
Hope you can see the fuel level in the photo; I placed red arrows at each end showing where the fuel is in the float.
I tested the float by raising it up and down and the fuel gauge works as it should. Now to order an new BRASS float....

Attachments

• 27319.jpg
    27319.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 365