• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wedge TR8 Gas Cap

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
tr8todd said:
The smaller caps have a foam skirt around them, or at least they did originally.

And you can easily fabricate a replacement foam skirt using black craft foam sheets.

swift6

Yoda
Brosky said:
I know that the locking cap that I bought from Moss doesn't fit, even though it looks like it should.

They certainly don't fit well. They can be made to fit with a little effor though. There was a TWOA newsletter with the details. I'll see if I can find it. I made the adjustments and used it for three years before my car burned.

swift6

Yoda
Darrell_Walker said:
No difference between TR7 and TR8 really, but the earlier FCH cars had a larger cap, later DHC (and I believe later FHC) used a smaller cap. Since all TR8s are DHC (except for the early development prototypes), the small cap would be correct.

Just a minor correction but there were two runs of production TR8 coupes. These were full production cars, not development prototypes, so saying all TR8's are convertibles (except for the development cars) is actually incorrect. The development cars are identified by an ACN prefix on their VIN and most were automatic transmissions. The production TR8 FHC's were identified by a TCN prefix. The very first production TR8's were FHC's that were from the TCN150*** series. These cars began assembly in late 1978. My now burned up TR8 was TCN150015 and was built in December of 1978. The second run of TR8 FHC's were the TCN160*** series and production begain on those in mid-1979. Total coupe production, including the prototypes, was less than 400. It was estimated that about 150 prototypes were made, the rest are split between TCN150*** and TCN160***. TR8 Coupes were not assigned 17 digit VINs like the DHC's were. So in closing, there are full production TR8 FHC's, and they are the rarest of factory built TR's with between 200 and 250 produced. Bit of an Anorak moment. Sorry, I'll get me coat.

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
swift6 said:
Darrell_Walker said:
No difference between TR7 and TR8 really, but the earlier FCH cars had a larger cap, later DHC (and I believe later FHC) used a smaller cap. Since all TR8s are DHC (except for the early development prototypes), the small cap would be correct.

Just a minor correction but there were two runs of production TR8 coupes. These were full production cars, not development prototypes, so saying all TR8's are convertibles (except for the development cars) is actually incorrect. The development cars are identified by an ACN prefix on their VIN and most were automatic transmissions. The production TR8 FHC's were identified by a TCN prefix. The very first production TR8's were FHC's that were from the TCN150*** series. These cars began assembly in late 1978. My now burned up TR8 was TCN150015 and was built in December of 1978. The second run of TR8 FHC's were the TCN160*** series and production begain on those in mid-1979. Total coupe production, including the prototypes, was less than 400. It was estimated that about 150 prototypes were made, the rest are split between TCN150*** and TCN160***. TR8 Coupes were not assigned 17 digit VINs like the DHC's were. So in closing, there are full production TR8 FHC's, and they are the rarest of factory built TR's with between 200 and 250 produced. Bit of an Anorak moment. Sorry, I'll get me coat.

Hi Shawn,

Thanks for the correction!

-Darrell

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Shawn, any luck with the TWOA article? That must have been before I joined, as I can't find it in any of my issues.

swift6

Yoda
Have to aplogize Paul, I completely forgot. There are folks on the email list that have exquisite indexes of all the newsletters. I'll put the question out there and get back to you. Schoolwork is awfully demanding of my time anymore.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
tr8todd said:
YUUUP, $40 plus shipping. (believe it or not, that's cheap for a TR8 gas cap) Many people have driven off and left them behind at the gas station over the years. I even did this once on a 500 mile trip. Came back 3 days later and it was still sitting on top of the gas pump where I left it. Send me a PM with your address if you want one.

I did that!

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Stupid me left it on the back of the car
1.3 miles to the house.
I walked that stretch umpteen times .Never found it
Paid$25 for my spare

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
There's one somewhere in New Orleans or Jefferson Parish...

Along with a lens cap for my digital SLR...

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Well, I definitely have the bottom side of the "small cap" and so does the locking cap from Moss. It looks like it should fit but doesn't, so whenever Shawn finds that article, I may be able to make it work.

swift6

Yoda
I found one article that involves removing the fuel filler neck from the car and grinding down some of the notches so they have more of an angle. All I did on my cap was remove the c-clip that holds the locking tabs in place on the cap, applied a bevel to those tabs and then put it all back together with a new c-clip. Never had to pull my filler neck. The tabs on my gas cap as it came from Moss were pretty thick and the bevel did the trick. Just be sure to bevel the correct side. I had tried using it for a few weeks until I got fed up, there were marks on the tabs where they were hitting the notches on the filler neck that indicated which side and how much bevel was needed. Worked like a charm for three years until it melted with the rest of the car.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Thanks Shawn and I'm really sorry to hear about the "meltdown".

swift6

Yoda
Thanks Paul,

I really miss my TR8 but I need some time away. I'm enjoying driving my appliance right now. It is fast, handles well but you can feel the weight, comfortable, quiet, loaded with technology and I completely miss the smells and sounds of my TR8.

Feamici

Freshman Member
Country flag
Dave- I have an extra one packed away ready for shipping to the new home.
Though, as you can see, they are like hen's teeth.
Don't know if I want to chance giving it away as I already lost my original
You have a non locking gas cap for an 1980 convertible