Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
Personally, I like the wires as short as practical for a neat appaearance plus (on a 4-cyl at least) makes it impossible to connect them incorrectly.
From a 'universal' 8-cylinder set of copper core wires from CarQuest I can fashion 4 or 5 sets of 4 cylinder wires.
I also like the right-angle connectors that snap onto the plug rather than the tight fitting boot -- I can actually pull one of those off a running engine w/o a shock.
None of this addresses the question... just some random plug wire comments.
I have a set of green TRF wires I carry as emergency backup
for use during break downs. My TR6 has a GM conversion
alternator.
I was told the green wires would not last very long with an
alternator of higher amps than the old Lucas generators.
I installed the thicker Moss blue plug wires.
Do you know if it is true about the green wires burning up
with use of the GM product?
I'm the wrong guy to ask about that because my alternator is Lucas and I wouldn't use a GM or Bosch anyway. They are probably better, but I'm an "if it ain't broke..." guy.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Do you know if it is true about the green wires burning up with use of the GM product? [/QUOTE]
I would like the person who originated that quote to explain that theory to me. Not you Dale, whoever told you that.
Oh absolutely !
GM alternators do not contain enough smoke to replenish the normal leakage from genuine Lucas wiring products (which of course is why they can put out more current : no room taken up by the smoke). And as everyone knows, once the smoke leaks out, the wiring won't work.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.