• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 Restoration Progress - My Car In The Shop

DanNagy

Jedi Trainee
I have this car in a shop being restored, and would like to share its progress with you. After two years of planning, I am very excited that it is in its final stages and looking forward to seeing it when I return from Korea next week.

The first picture is of the transmission, the last thing that wasn't rebuilt. I had a J-Type overdrive unit added to it from John Esposito at Quantum Mechanics in CT. John was an awesome help, patient, and accommodating. I highly recommend John.

IM000333-600x452.jpg

The second is a picture of the body from the front. The shop put on all new fenders and rear deck, primed it with epoxy primer, then sprayed it with the carmine red. He left the underside of the bonnet untouched so that there would be something original on the car.

IM000335-600x452.jpg

The last picture is of the first badge going on the car. I think this should be a proud moment for Sports Car Haven (www.sports-car-haven.com)as the shop has been working months on it. Lorne Fritz is legendary for his craftsmanship in that part of PA, and I am so lucky to have heard about his shop through word-of-mouth. He is the best I have ever met, and a really nice, honest guy cut from the old mould that made America great.

IM000336-600x452.jpg

It's going to be difficult to wait for it to be done, but then to leave it in storage will be worse. My next move/assignment is to Switzerland at the end of November, but I will have it when I return to PA for visits. I can't wait to contribute a shot to the "through my windshield" string!

roofman

Jedi Knight
Good luck with the completion.

jobster

From what I can see, it looks stunning. Bet you can't wait for it to get it put back together and drive it. The paintwork looks fantastic!

OP
DanNagy

DanNagy

Jedi Trainee
Thanks Paul. I can tell you that I am jumping out of my skin to get it back. I'll get the dizzy sent out to Jeff on Friday for its Petronix. I can't wait to drive it, especially after having the tranny rebuilt, the ignition fine tuned, and the car aligned. It's great to have the body work done, but its how it works that I enjoy the most.

2wrench

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Very, Very nice. I've often wondered what it would be
like to drive a Triumph with an overdrive. Just
curious about if it still has power in that last
gear or if it kind of fizzles.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
It sounds like you need someone to take it out
& drive it every once in awhile for you.
I'll step up & volunteer.
Nice car!

- Doug

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
2wrench,

An overdrive is just like having a 5 speed manual... except that in the case of a J-type, you have 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd overdrive, 4th, 4th overdrive.

So the answer is yes, you will loose power, just like you would with any 5 speed gearbox.

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Just like I said... it's exactly like shifting into 5th gear with a 5 speed transmission... So, in your in forth gear at say 3000 rpm and click on the overdrive, you'll probably kick down to 2200ish (assuming a 28% reduction). The change in RPM would result in you being lower in the power band. But if you had the power to increase your speed back up to 3000 rpm then you'd be making the same power, but then I'm sure that wind resistance would start to come in to play.

Same principle with going into 3rd gear overdrive, except with lower speeds, but you would be less affected by wind resistance.

OP
DanNagy

DanNagy

Jedi Trainee
Thanks for the compliments, and cudos to the shop for their excellent work.

I wonder about driving with the overdrive, too. It's essentially a six-speed transmission now. I really struggled about putting it in because I found the 4-speed to be adequate in every way - even at highway speeds. In the end, I will make long trips with this car and wanted to give it a longer cruising capability. (And yes, this car is going to be a driver - not a trailer queen. In another 30 years somebody else can do another restoration.)

Will I be able to shift from 3rd overdrive to 4th overdrive directly, or does the overdrive kick out when you shift gears? I need a lesson.

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
DanNagy said:
Will I be able to shift fromm 3rd overdrive to 4th over drive directly, or does the overdrive kick out when you shift gears? I need a lesson.

Yes you can do this... what's a little embarrassing is when I forget to shift out of OD when I stop at a traffic light. When start out and get to third gear, it kicks back into OD.. which sounds just like shifting into the wrong gear.

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
AngliaGT said:
Nice car!

Actually, I will be much closer if you need someone to care for the car when you are away. I can even keep it here in Allentown and garage if for you over the summer. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

OP
DanNagy

DanNagy

Jedi Trainee
Brooklands said:
AngliaGT said:
Nice car!

Actually, I will be much closer if you need someone to care for the car when you are away. I can even keep it here in Allentown and garage if for you over the summer. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

The selflessness in the forum abounds. I am sorry to say that the TR6 has a home already, but we would love to visit!