• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 rear lights?

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
Ok, well I took the 6 out today to a show all went well, even got me home. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif
But when I looked at my rear running lights they were not working... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif
The side rear lights worked, so I checked the fuses they were all ok.
I checked the bulbs "ok"

I'm not sure what to do next, any suggestion?

thanx so much!!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

R6MGS

Yoda
Check the grounds...They might be weak as they're in an area prone to corrosion.

OP
kodanja

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
ill do that next, thanx!
should I clean the prongs, or just trash the sockets and go with a common ground? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

D

DougF

Clean everything. The sockets, bulbs, lamp chassis, quick slide connectors. This is the area where I have had my worst electrical problems. I got pulled over last summer by a local policeman because my tail lights were too dim. With these young pups who know nothing but LED, I'm sure we will be experiencing these things more often in the future.

R6MGS

Yoda
Yup, When I got mine I had to repair one of the truck panels, with that removed I decided to clean up the lighting connections on the one side....I was amazed that they were still functioning with all the crud back there. Now I've got to do the other side........

OP
kodanja

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
so you think just by cleaning the connections and bulbs this may solve the problem.?

It was kinda strange that they went all at once. Hmmmmmm...

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Welcome to the playground of the Prince of Darkness.

D

DougF

I would clean the contacts inside the sockets and the tail light frame where the light sockets attach. When finished, a little dialectric grease to prevent further corrosion couldn't hurt. And of course, clean all of the electrical connections.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
so you think just by cleaning the connections and bulbs this may solve the problem.?

[/ QUOTE ]It's fairly likely.

[ QUOTE ]
It was kinda strange that they went all at once. Hmmmmmm...

[/ QUOTE ]That might possibly indicate a grounding problem...something to double-check while you're cleaning the connections and bulbs! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MrPandy

I ended up soldering a new ground wire onto each tail light socket to get all of mine nice and bright - actually, just to get them working.

OP
kodanja

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
I think I'll set up the new sockets with a common ground, I purchased new sockets with an extra grounding tab.

thanks for everyones input !

OP
kodanja

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
Well so far i cleaned the prongs, that helped, the running lights work now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif but only one of the brake lights work now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif..and the other running light goes off when i step on the brake... Hmmm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nopity.gif
I checked the bulb "ok" i checked the ground "ok" I also checked to see that the wires were on the correct connections,
Sounds like a job by "Mr. Lucus" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif
any input.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grouphug.gif Thanx! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

swift6

Yoda
How is your license plate light? I had a ground issue with mine and it affected all of the rear lights. Especially the passenger side rear. All part of the same circuit.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

R6MGS

Yoda
I still say a bad ground somewhere....I had almost the exact some problem with the Caddy....spent Christmas day in the truck cleaning and re-cleaning every single connection.

OP
kodanja

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
ill have to check the wires for the licence plate light, along with cleaning all the other connections,

thanx, Ill let ya know...

G

It's a bit of a hassle and a small expense but the rear harness for your car should be available from British Wiring. You have to consider that this harness runs along the floorboard and through the trunk and can often get worn or shorted over the years. It is not that difficult to run new wires and you will know what you have. The sad truth is all of the sockets that you buy now as replacements are of questionable quality (not sure that the Lucas originals were all that great) and getting a bulb in and out of these little jewels can be tricky. I usually keep spares of everything on hand, especially bulbs. The weakest link in all the braking lights is the darn brake light switch. These things are a nightmare to adjust properly and will fail at all the wrong times. I have half a dozen in my spares box.

Bill

OP
kodanja

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
do you think the brake switch could be the culprit?

If I have to I will replace the rear harness, but only at last resort.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

G

[ QUOTE ]
do you think the brake switch could be the culprit?

If I have to I will replace the rear harness, but only at last resort.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The brake light switch pretty much only controls the brake lights but getting less than a "full load" on a circuit when needed is never good. Try unplugging the two wires to the brake light switch and run some extensions to the rear of the car so you can check them in an off/on situation. The downside to doing anything like this (playing with circuits with the ignition on for a period of time) with electronic ignition is you will burn the module out in short order (Pertronix, Crane). (Unless of course you unplug the ignition) Another issue with the running, tail, brake lights is you will never get full brightness unless you have the engine running and charging the battery, unless you have a really fresh, killer battery. One of the reasons I switched over to a Delco-style 66 amp alternator, weak lights. Now they burn brightly.

Bill