• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 heater blower wires -what are these wires for?

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I need your help. My heater blower has always worked. I had the green/yellow wire and green/purple wire hooked up to the switch. When I took the heater out, I noticed that it has a white wire (same length as the two green wires) that has never been hooked up. The motor has one wire going from the motor to the resister. Then there is another white wire going from the motor that was never hooked up to anything. Anyone know what the purpose of this is? Is this a ground?
Kevin

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Kevin,

Here is a picture of my motor when it was out. I had no white wires in there at all. Just the two green striped wires and the black.

Attachments

• 26122.jpg
    26122.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 505

lbcs_r_fun

Jedi Hopeful
ichthos said:
I need your help. My heater blower has always worked. I had the green/yellow wire and green/purple wire hooked up to the switch. When I took the heater out, I noticed that it has a white wire (same length as the two green wires) that has never been hooked up. The motor has one wire going from the motor to the resister. Then there is another white wire going from the motor that was never hooked up to anything. Anyone know what the purpose of this is? Is this a ground?
Kevin

These fans use single winding motors. To get low speed operation, they reduce the voltage by using a dropping resistor. If you look at Paul's photo, the black cylindrical thing is the resistor. You should have one fused lead (solid green) into the heater fan switch and two wires (green with brown tracer + green with yellow tracer) out to the motor/dropping resistor. Connect as shown below.

FANMOTOR.jpg

Good luck,

T

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I am using your article, Paul - thanks for posting it. I find that my 69 has a lot in common with a 250 many times. The may be why there is a difference. In any case, I am including a pic to explain myself better. (There is fresh soldering only because I had to shorten and then resolder the wires due to mice damage.)So, I have two white wires coming from the motor. One goes to the resister. The green/yellow wire continues from the white wire at the resister to the switch. On the other side of the resister is a green/purple wire that goes to the switch. The other white wire goes straight from the motor, and it is that wire that I have not idea where it goes. T, looking at your diagram, wouldn't the white wire have to be a ground wire then?
Kevin

Attachments

• 26127.jpg
    26127.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 436

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Kevin,

If you look at my picture and forget wire colors for a minute, you will see that you have two wires bridging the resistor, one of which comes from the "motor", which will be positive. Therefore, the other wire that comes from the motor will be ground. You can test this by hooking up the ground to your battery and the other wires to the positive terminal and the motor should turn.

If you will notice on mine, there is a + and a - on the label. Switching those around will affect the rotation of the the fan, as indicated by the arrows on the label. You want to make sure yours is wired to turn in the proper direction after it is mounted so that you push air over the heater core and out of the heater box and not suck it in like a vacuum cleaner.

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thank you very much, Paul. Would the fan be turning clockwise or counterclockwise as I am facing it? I have a slight squeal when I start it up, so I am going to take it apart to see what is wrong with the bushings. Hopefully it is a matter of just oiling up the bushings If I can get the darn fan clip off.
Kevin

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Kevin, try running it in the case. It should be blowing air out of the ducts and at the bottom of the flapper door below the core, not sucking it in.

To be honest, I don't remember well enough to tell you the direction it should be turning.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Kevin,

Along with my previous picture to show you the wiring on mine, you can see how mine mounted to the top of the case.

I believe that it will be rotating clock-wise.

Attachments

• 26130.jpg
    26130.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 382