• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 Fuel pump spares

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
Vendors and part numbers of tried and proven replacement parts are what I am seeking here because recent fuel pump discussions have me concerned. My TR6 (1974) has the OEM pump that works fine even after 80+k miles. However, my concern is that I know it will not last forever and a replacement or rebuild kit will be in order. In the past I read about pumps and rebuild kits with low quality if any quality at all were on the market. Also, I read that the OEM feed line and fitting were subject to problems if not R&R in some reasonable past time. The problems with the feed line were unusual fitting size, the pipe crushes when removed, etc. I will not replace my pump until it fails but I want to be prepared. Is there a particular pump or rebuild kit and feed line that I should keep on hand for insurance? If I remember correctly, the metal feed line, from the fuel pump, goes to a rubber hose where the inline fuel filter is located.

G

Don,
I have a new fuel pump coming in tomorrow from TRF that is supposedly built to the same specs and quality as the original AC pump, which has been out of production for almost 20 years. This new one is made in Italy (at least on the same side of the earth as UK) and is made using the same exact mould designs. Others have said that it is quite good. I'll install this week, will let you know although it may (I hope) be quite a while.

Bill

jerrybny

Jedi Knight
Moss sells a TR6 top quality replacement for $42. It even has the priming lever. That is what I have in my trunk as a spare.

G

I am using a 5/16" steel fuel line (original, I doubt it) that enters the pump and a 1/4" that exits. That said, the new pump came in today, along with a recipe for spaghetti sauce, and both the entry and exit holes look exactly the same. Hmmmmm. I will have to take my old one out to see if this will work or change a line. Not good. I have forgotten what the brass tightening nuts look like, I just remember that both are compression fittings. Surely there are two sized fittings that go into the different holes. Surely. Right, with my luck. Guess I will find out.

Bill

OP
V

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
$42 can be a real life saver spare when you get very far from home. I look foward to when you have the new one sorted out.

G

My plan is to hopefully get the new one installed and running and to re-re-rebuild the OE fuel pump.
As a spare for long trips.

Bill

G

Now I have to look through my pile of spare parts to find some new compression fittings. I have been told by an old hand that the type of compression fitting to be used in a fuel pump line is different than the hardware store variety compression fitting, although they look exactly the same. Can anyone comment on this.

Never, never reuse a compression fitting.

Bill

G

I got the "Italian Job" fuel pump installed this morning and it seems to work ok. Time will tell.

Bill