• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 Fuel Injection made easy

hondo402000

Darth Vader
Hello everyone one, its been a looooog time since I have been on the forum, lots of things going on in my life like everyone else. But I just got burned out on my TR6 mainly because I couldnt get my weber carbs dialed in and they became a real PITA. I will be blunt, They dont work as advertised and there is jetting that is required, the old flat spot is a challenge if you have them, and there are less people that know how to tune them and I spent a Lot of time trying and I think I know more than most as I spent a lot of time trying!, I got the TR bug again and started looking for fuel injection systems. Found it from the UK and I know I cant and wont advertise for the company, However, I purchased the Kit 3500.00 with weber throttle bodies( got to use my cannon intake ( not cheap) I installed it last weekend in 8 hours, some fab requires as usual. I was really scared to crank it for the first time, to my amazement once the fuel system primed it fired right up. No pumping the gas, no choke, it ran not perfect at first ! the system uses whats up display program that learns for itself. My biggest fear as I am a mechanical guy and know nothing about EFI. but once I did some research and learned the program( and there is a ton of information on FI ), FI is way easier to tune than aftermarket carbs ie webers, no changing jets, no drilling out jet, no stopping on the road to F@#$k with things, With EFI you start the WUD(whats up display) program click on learn, drive for 10 minutes, Flash the data to the CPU and repeat. It is so amazing how it works, after 3-10 minutes learning sessions, I was amazed that I could tell a huge difference in the drivability. It was very noticable. and the more I do the drive and lean mode the better it gets, And only after 30 minutes of driving and learning it drives better than the webers every performed, I was scared at first but now I know this it the best upgrade you can do to your Triumph. if you want to keep it stock then this wont matter to you, if you want to drive your Triumph this is the way to go. I am glad I got enthused again about my TR6 as it has set in my garage for 8 years and everytime I looked at it I just didnt get excited about messing with the webers. They were good in their time but now EFI is the way to go! Next step is I plan on a Dyno session with an experience EFI tuner.

a few more information, I had my engine bore to 2.7 L lightened and balanced Crank, JE pistons, Carillo rods, little wilder cam, compression 10:1, 1.5 roller rockers, Electric fan, Kevlar clutch. found an OD unit and Trans and OD rebuilt, lots of up grades, dyno-ed at 200HP 8 years ago with crapy weber jetting, and in the 8 years I put 900 miles on the car. NOT GOOD, Now I am excited to get it back on the road and actual drive my car. if you have questions you can send me a PM and I will answer any question. Glad to be back and enthused again

Last edited:

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Glad to have you back and enthused again! FI caught my attention as I'm rebuilding a 69 TR6 and thinking about fuel injection (aka PI). This old stuff can be challenging and I do like integrating modern equipment to make them or drive able. Good thing I got 4 because if 1 or from time to time 2 go down I always have one running to calm the nerves.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Great stuff, I don't know if I will ever go the fuel injection route, but it is good to see some TR6 performance posts on this forum again. Seems like there was a lot more of that kind of discussion going on when I got my TR250 about ten years ago.

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Going to use my TR6 as a daily driver in 2 years when I retire and looking for year around drivability. So going to keep an ear to these kind of discussions. Got very interested almost 20 years ago at TRFs summer party when I met a TR4 owner that converted his Stromberg carbs into a throttle body fuel injection system using a ECU from a Caviler.

Tybalt

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
..., I got the TR bug again and started looking for fuel injection systems. Found it from the UK and I know I cant and wont advertise for the company, ....

... if you have questions you can send me a PM and I will answer any question. Glad to be back and enthused again

You should have mail, looking forward to hearing back from you.

OP
hondo402000

hondo402000

Darth Vader
I had retired my Stroms years ago and already had the cannon manifold for the webers so just elected to to buy Webcon throttle bodies. the guys system alows you to use your stroms as throttle bodies or any carb set up for the throttle body, you just have to remove the dampers or the internals and the injectors then are mounted on the air filters( after you drill a hole thru the air filter. or your can have your intake manifold machined to accept the injectjors, The more I drive the car the happier I get, best part is when you turn the Key my TR6 Immediately starts up! I forgot to mention to the guy that I had an electric fan and with one extra wire running from the relay to the ECM, now the computer tells the fan when to come on and turn off and it also increases the RPM when the fan come on so when at Idle so the car doesnt stall on me

OP
hondo402000

hondo402000

Darth Vader
here is a photo

Attachments

• TR6 Fuel Injection.jpg
    TR6 Fuel Injection.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 471

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Very cool setup hondo.

Tybalt

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
here is a photo

Thank you for getting back with me on this. It looks like a nice clean install. Since I only saw two drop links down to the throttle bodies from the pivot rod, am I am correct in thinking that the forward body works as a master, has the throttle position switch and also slaves the middle body with the rear body being linked by the rear drop link?

OP
hondo402000

hondo402000

Darth Vader
Yes correct, Front Throttle body has the TPS and the middle TB is connect via a connecting arm from the front TB and the rear is connect by the drop link

Nemo74

Freshman Member
I converted my 74 to EFI some three years ago. I started with 2 injectors and throttle bodies with EDIS 6 ignition
and wide band O2, but later converted to a port injection system using a custom made manifold, 6 18# injectors
and a single 63mm throttle body. The system is controlled by a MegaSquirt MSII ECU. The car runs great and
starts on the first try. The hardest part of the entire install is to setup your fuel and ignition maps but once done
the ECU will auto tune as you drive. A wide band O2 sensor is a must for auto tune to work. All in all a very
satisfying and worthwhile project, no more fiddling with carbs.

Emile Bergeron

'74 TR6
MegaSquirt ECU, port injection, WideBand O2
.020 overbore, 9.5:1 CR, GP2 cam, ECU controlled fan
Toyota 5 speed, EDIS 6 ignition

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Emile,
Welcome to the BCF and I’ve always been fascinated by your FI setup...maybe one of these days.
Rut