Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
Should the cam on the distributor have movement side to side as well as up and down? When trying to set the points the cam always seems to move or float off of the high spot because of this play in the cam.
The side to side movement is probably from the plate being worn. Look at where the inside ring is and watch it as you put pressure on it, I bet the plate will rock. I have pulled the plate out and hammered the ring down some to make it not rock. Be careful if you do this. To much and the plate will no slide for timing advance. Put a pertronix ignition in and you won't have to worry about it.
Thanks Marv,
I am very new, but totally enthused at this car restoring project. My question is: Where do I go to purchase the petronix,....is it just a conversion kit or whole new unit? If just a conversion kit, will my original problem with the distributor cam movemen still need to be addressed?
Thanks,
Wike
It's alway better to have your equipment in good condition.
The Pertronix Ignitor is less sensitive to a worn out distributor than points.
Pertronix makes both a complete distributor and the Ignitor which replaces the points and condensor in a conventional distributor.
As to where to purchase it, I believe that all the usual part suppliers for our cars have them for sale. Sometimes you'll even catch a special price.
I hesitate to start naming names for fear of leaving out the very one that might have the best price.
I would still have it checked and have the bushings replace by Jeff. He can install the Pertronix unit and make you a drop in points replacement plate that is all setup in case you ever want to go back. You can see that on my site here: Distributor Rebuild by Jeff
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.