• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3A VS TR4 Long Tube inlet manifold

BobbyO

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Are there any advantages/disadvantages to using a TR4 long tube inlet manifold on a TR3 engine with H6 carbs or should I use the shorter TR3 inlet manifold?

OP
B

BobbyO

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
The long tube inlet manifold is 3/8 inch bigger than a standard TR3 inlet manifold. I suspect there's a good possibility the air cleaner would hit the inner wing. Part of why I asked the question.

Country flag
If you use the original air filters I believe they will hit or be very close. Let use know how it works if you do it. I have a TR4 engine I plan to use in a TR3. I will be changing out the front mounting plate.
Marv

TR-3rg

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hi,
I have the setup you are asking about. My 3a has the small port 4a head in it so I wanted the matching 4a intake. I use the H6 carbs that came with the car. Heres what I found:

1. Stock air filters will hit the fender well. I made a set of filters with tapered K&N filters. I offset them vertically about 1". I have about 1/4" fender clearance. Adjusting the fwd carb jet nut is a pain.
2. The stock throttle linkages binds up. My manifold is about .62" longer than the 3a manifold. I also think the mounting angle is different. I went to a cable.

The HS6 carbs would fit a lot easier. The H6 carb is 5.5" long, I think the HS6 is somewhere in the 4" range. I installed a header at the same time I swapped intakes so I did not get a direct comparison. It does run well.

Good Luck, Roy

OP
B

BobbyO

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Seems like a lot of work for not much, if any, benefit. Think I'll go with the stock TR3 inlet manifold. Thanks.

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Country flag
I've been running a 4A manifold on my 3A for years. I mounted the round mesh and foam air filters. I had to push the bottom of the front filter in slightly for clearance. I didn't notice any fouling on the throttle linkage but I'd be interested in seeing a picture of the cable set up. I believe the 4A intake would be advantageous for better engine breathing.

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
Kastner says the 4a inlet manifold flows significantly better, but how much improvement you would get on a stock engine I do not know.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
For a late TR3A I restored where the owner had a long TR4 intake manifold, I had to use very thin air filters but they are not fully circular. There is a flat that I adjusted so the filters fit on. But the owner felt that the engine was not getting enough air flow through the thinner filters hence lower output power.

I also saw a photo where someone had taken a 5 pound hammer and bashed his inner fender about 2 inches so that the common air filters would fit without hitting to inner fender.