• Hey Guest!
    British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!

    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)

TR2/3/3A TR3 Starter removal

RonR

Jedi Trainee
Offline
Folks,

It appears to me that the carbs have to removed to get the starter out of the engine compartment. This may also be true for removing the generator. Is this corect or am I missing what I hope is a very simple procedure/path?

Thakns,
Ron
 
I have never had to remove the carbs. You may find it helpful to undo the choke linkage to the rear carb and let it swing down.

Once you have the 2 bolts holding the starter to the bellhousing undone you should be able to withdraw the starter thru the open space below the manifolds. Probably not best practice but I usually just use the big cable (undone from the solenoid but still attached to the starter) to pull it up and out.

Note: This assumes you have a stock manifold. Also, I have the early 'bomb' starter though I think the later (post TS50000) starter will come out the same way.

As for the generator -- have also R&Red that w/o getting anything else out of the way. Helps to be able to see around corners and have anice assortment of wrenches and extensions.
 
Apparently that is how the factory recommended servicing them as shown by this photo demonstrating how to easily free up a jammed one:

Jammed%20Starter.JPG
 
I figured you just had to pull the engine!
 
The later starters can be removed from the bottom. If it is an early one, I remove them the way Geo suggested. The first time I undid an early one I was convinced it would come out the bottom, but no; it just looks that way. The generator back bolt is kinda tight and so is the front one and so is the area it is contained in, but you do not have to remove the carbs.
 
Probably it varies by car, but on my 3A I could get the early starter out the bottom by prying on the exhaust pipe.

That stud is just copper and not very big, so it scares me to pull the starter out by the cable. And replacing the stud is a definite PITA, although I have done it successfully.
 
Back
Top