• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 gas tank

RonR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Folks,

The current gas tank on my TR3 needs cleaned and sealed. It also has one of the baffles laying on the bottom of the tank. I have contacted the comnpany that gave a presentation on radiators and gas tanks at VTR last week and he says he can pop-rivit the baffle back in-place. I assume the sealer will seal around the rivits.

My question is, would it make more sense to just buy a new tank, which might cost $100 more? If so, does anyone have a preference between The Roadster Factory, Moss, or VB as a source for new tanks?

Thanks,
Ron

PKPoole

Country flag
Ron,
I've purchased tanks for TR3 and MGA from "AngelheartPancho" via Ebay. If I remember correctly the guy's name is Jorge Cervasa. Nice guy and great product. He's in San Diego, Ca. I highly recommend him. He also makes new bumpers and overriders, amoung other things. PKPoole

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I recently bought one of his late tr3 tanks in steel for $200+ shipping.Looks good,fit nice on trial fit.
Some of the sealers commonly used(Im most familiar with vintage motorcycle tanks) have issues with methanol,so I try to avoid them unless necessary ,say to save a rare or unreplaceable tank.
Tom

OP
R

RonR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
PK and Tom,

Did Jorge's tanks come with the correct fitting and thread for the fuel line outlet?
Are his tanks galvanized/zinc plated?

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Ron,I retapped my outlet for 3/8 npt,because I am using swagelock compression and Stainless fuel lines.ISTR that the supplied thread is 5/8 nf,I think as original, which can be retapped to 3/8 npt by just running in the tap.I am going to just plug the vent with straight bolt and washer,and drill small hole inside cap,as per Randalls suggestion.
Tom
Tom

PKPoole

Country flag
Ron,
Yes, his tanks are nearly identical to OEM dimension but the material is a bit heavier. The fuel tap, drain plug and vent are all as original. As I recall, you have to specify which version (RH/LH fuel line tap) which depends on the year model for your car. It installs as the original with little effort.

One little note: He will supply a new drain plug with a thick nylon/plastic washer and also a thick gasket (of the same material) for the gas gage cover. I found that the material tends to "squeeze" unevenly resulting in possible leakage. I use the standard (Moss) fiber washer and paper gasket. Good luck. PK

OP
R

RonR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Folks,

As a follow up, I elected to purchase (for more money) a fuel tank from The Roadster Factory rather than angelheartpancho (Jorge Cervera) on ebay. Several Austin Healey people has strong negative opinions regarding the quality of the tanks he fabricates for their cars.

Jorge's attitude was horrible when it came to answering questions regarding the quality of the fuel tank and his return policy.

Ron

PKPoole

Country flag
Ron,
Thanks for the feedback. I didn't have any problem with my tanks ('58 MGA and '60 TR3A) and I waited for his "Free Shipping" sale. Couldn't beat the price and I have no complaints about the quality. Pat

OP
R

RonR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Folks,

Today I received the new TR3 fuel tank fromn The Roadster Factory.
The drain plug is not per the original design. Rather, it is a threaded steel plug without a fiber washer, similer to the transmission filler plug and similar to plugs used on steel plumbing pipes and gas pipes.

My question is, what type of sealant could I use on the plug threads that would be resistant to gasoline?

Thanks.
Ron

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Gasoline thread sealer
Like this
TeflonPipeDope.jpg
and
TeflonPipeDope2.jpg

Courtesy of Bobby's site

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
OP
R

RonR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks for the help. I was able to find the Hercules brand at my nearby locally-owned-by-the-same-family-for-almost-100-years hardware store. I do know how lucky I am to have them so close.

On another fuel tank related question, I purchased the rubber grommet that goes in the opening in the rear shroud for the gas filler/gas gap. Assuming this is the correct part, I cannot get the thread of the gas cap through the grommet so that they can engage the giant nut thing/extension below the sheet metal. Is there a trick other than oiling the grommet and threads? Perhaps the grommet is the wrong part and all that is supposed to be there is a big rubber or fiber washer.

Ron

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The rubber grommet is only for the later cap assembly without the threads. For the earlier cars, I believe there should be only a big fiber washer.