• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 Cut Off Side Curtain.

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Country flag
I've been thinking of cutting off the top part of a dilapitated side curtain to keep the wind out when I run the 3 with the tonneau on in inclement weather. Anyone done this and have a pic of how they finished the covering?

OP
K

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Country flag
I have the the aluminum side curtains as well. I always wondered if they were aftermarket or one offs? Amco? I'll give you an example of what I'm trying to accomplish. Last Fall I took an 80 mile drive to a nearby racetrack that was hosting it's annual British car get together. The rain was spitting down and I had the tonneau cover and heater on and it was quite comfortable except for my left arm which was freezing! It wasnt raining hard enough to put the top up and I didnt get wet ,as the windshield threw off most of the rain. A full side curtain under these conditions wouldn't have been necessary. The open doors are one of my favourite features of the TR3 in good weather but there are times when ththat area would be better closed off. I think I've seen some sort of aftermarket door top assemblies for sale in the UK but I don't want to go to that expense for the odd time I'd need them.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
This setup is popular around here:

DCP_0411.jpg

DCP_0412.jpg

The upper wing is available from Moss et al; but I don't know of anyone offering the lower part commercially. It's easy to fabricate yourself, though. The aluminum strap fits into the front sidecurtain socket.

PS, a good leather jacket will block the wind better than almost anything else. Blocks rain too, if you get one with snug sleeves and keep it oiled.

6969ronin6969

Country flag
Karl,

I think Revington in the UK has a fiberglass part that does exactly what you are thinking about. I looked at it because I have thought the same thing as you. I drive about 30 mins to work and on cold mornings the wind coming in the side can get uncomfortable. I'd think it'd work well.

Post some pics if you decide to do something.

Eric

GilsTR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I checked the Revington site and will admit I do not know my
way around there very well....but did not see this part. Anyone out there be able to post a link? Thanks Gil NoCal

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Aloha Geo,

Looks like you store your side curtains like I do, on a hook in the garage.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
GilsTR said:
I checked the Revington site and will admit I do not know my
way around there very well....but did not see this part. Anyone out there be able to post a link? Thanks Gil NoCal

Eric might be thinking of the Racestorations kit, they look neat, sort of like a Jabbeke run setup:
Racestorations racing sidescreens

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
MGTF1250Dave said:
...Looks like you store your side curtains like I do, on a hook in the garage.

Yeah, about a month after I check out there'll be an eBay listing for "Pair of TR3A Sidecurtains, like new, seldom used".

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Me too, except mine will say "Brand new, still in box". Don't even have the sockets for them mounted on the car :smile:

I wimped out today though. Didn't want to drive rush-hour traffic in the rain with no top.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
I made one for the driver's side of my 1958 TR3A. I bought some vinyl like the vinyl used for the tonneau cover. I took this to a leather worker and he cut and sewed me one which I snap onto the snaps on the door nomally used for the tonneau cover and up around the top of the dashboard for a snap or two. It also snaps up to the one at the top of the dog-leg.

When I got it back, I installed new snaps and it keeps my left shoulder and left arm dry when the top is up but I don't want to have the sidecurtain on. I get claustrophobic in the TR with it all on and up.

I suppose it would keep the wind out too.

One of the nicest designs I ever saw were hand-made on a red and white TR3A by Gary Altwsser formerly from Windsor Ontario and Calgary. He made his out of clear plexiglass on a steel bar stut like the ones for the sidecurtains. He fitted them into the front mounts of his doors normally used for the sidecurtains. They were a bit like the twin ones shown by Randall above, but were curved outwards and then back in again. They kept the wind out and each measured about 6" by 15" high - one for each side.

You can barely see it in this photo of Gary's car at VTR in Breckenridge in 2001.

Attachments

• 25537.jpg
    25537.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 418

GilsTR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Randall I am with you here on not having the side pockets mounted yet . I took the sockets and had them powder coated...along with the heads of the screws. (was kinda cool how they did the screw heads...they just screwed the screw into the side of a Coke can...and ran the can thru the process!) Just can't bring myself to mess with the looks of the door. Will get er done this Summer. Curtains....still like new! Gil NoCal

6969ronin6969

Country flag
Randy,

Thanks. Yes, those are the ones I was thinking of.

Eric

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have a set of the Racetorations Sidecurtains that I will use on my car. Dan (Tinman58) an I have had discussions about mounting the side curtains on these and also about making a plexyglass wind block like that on the TR3s that ran a LeMans. If you look closely at the picture below you can see them mounted on the car. Maybe a steel curved mount that goes over the door and is attacted with side screen brackets and then a plexyglass side window attached to that. Wind protection and lots of visablility. Seems 50 years ago they were thinking about the same thing

3730559887_5fe1a203de.jpg

Paul

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Resurrecting this post from last week as it inspired me to make a lower wing similar to the ones pictured above.

ArmWing1.jpg

It really makes quite a difference at speed. Not something I'd want day-to-day but have a few long driving days planned and this should help keep me happy.

I fashioned mine with more upturn on the front edge so I could affix a stick-on convex mirror.

It secures in the side curtain bracket with an extra bonnet Dzus fastener.

ArmWing2.jpg

croz

Country flag
I thought that I would reopen this thread to pass on my efforts to prolong the top down season here in the great white north.
I was able to secure a ratty old set of 60's side curtains. I removed all the covering and cut off the top window portion. I then spent 3-4 hours with a wire brush cleaning up the metal, which was covered in tape, glue and rust. The dzus bracket fit was close enough. They went off to get powder coated in "Camero Silver". A trip to the auto upholsterer and the result is quite good. Fitting the new dzus connectors was a bit of a mystery, but finally came together using a socket and a gentle tap from a small hammer. Total expense approx $200. See the images below.
Steve

P1020500_c.jpg P1020513_a.jpg P1020514_a.jpg P1020520_a.jpg

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
I rarely drive my 1958 TR3A with the top up but a few times when I had to because of heavy rain, I found out that I'm very claustrophobic. So even while driving in the rain, I leave off the driver's side curtain. But I still get wet.

So I had a local leather shop (the chap who repaired my tonneau cover) make me a flexible vinyl side curtain and I installed the lift-a-dot snaps. It keeps me dry from the snaps above the overdrive switch and the top edge of this new "1/2 side curtain" is horizontal and snaps along the pegs on the door and back up to the top of the dog-leg.

When I don't need it, it is easy to fold up and I throw it into the boot.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I could sew a panel in your tannau to cover your shoulders, so only your head sticks out while you're driving.