Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
If all is in good shape and working properly, the coil shouldn't get hot enough to be a problem before the engine is boiling over. But various faults can cause the coil to get hot enough to malfunction. Sometimes you get other indications too, like it leaking oil.
Actually I took the 3 out for a run after a 2 year layover. Prior to the layover I was having issues with stumbling,misfire and sputtering.Could'nt make out if it was a fuel issue or ignition. I sent the distributor out to Advance for a rebuild and advance curve to match the street cam I had installed with the engine rebuild. Well the car ran great....a joy to drive ...pulled strong in all gears....no misfire etc. After driving the car all morning I unexpectedly started experiencing the same symptoms as previous! So I'm thinking its a carb issue. Also pevious to the layover I leaned out the carbs 2 flats as the plugs had been carboned up. I'll pull the plugs this morning and see if they are carboned up again. Also I changed out the fuel filter, drained the tank and put fresh gas in prior to the run. Might have to go leaner yet?
It sure sounds a lot like what I went through with my TR6. The coil should get warm but it shouldn't get so hot that you really can't touch it. The hotter my coil got the worse the car ran with regard to backfires, stumbles etc. After a 5 mile drive, touching the coil could burn you hand.
Before you start fooling around with the carbs, make sure the coil isn't wired wrong or that it's the wrong coil.
Loose connection at the coil and an intermittment break in the wire (white w/ black tracer) from the coil to the distributor are also on the list of things that can go wrong here.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.