• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR250 engine or TR6 ?

T

Tinster

Tinster's stupid question of the day.

Is my auto a TR250 or a TR6?

I am 7 weeks into a total auto rewire harness effort. I figure maybe 5 more weeks and I shall have it completed and ready for testing.

My rebuilt carbs and new intake manifold should arrive in the next two weeks.

I am hoping my dead car might start after new wires, new alternator and carbs with new manifold.

I am sure once I get into the engine and trans, I will find them buggered up as well. It appears I must know excatly what engine and drive trane I have in order to get the correct rebuild parts.

Here are the vehicle IDs I have located so far. Also, both front inner wheel well sheet metal pieces have been raggedly cut and bent upward in order to clear the steel frame. Looks like a hack job to me.

IDs.

Driver's door serial No. CC28932L (looks new/like a replica)

Engine bulkhead over passenger knee well-riveted aluminum plate -serial No. 28965CC (Looks kinda old and worn)

Engine block tab at top, drivers side- CC4195E

Exhaust manifold No. stamped 307837

Stamp on Eng. block passenger side 308035
Stamp below this is 86 1 68

I had the diff out and refurbished a while back and cannot read any numbers thru the new black paint.

I am thinking I might have a TR250 engine and frame that for some reason has a TR6 body on it. Dash board and steering wheel are both 1969.

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks,

tinster /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Could this be the missing link of Triumph lore! The mythical beast built in the shadows of a German shed behind the Karmann studio to prove the redesigned body would indeed mount onto the frame?

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Tinster's stupid question of the day.

Is my auto a TR250 or a TR6?

Driver's door serial No. CC28932L (looks new/like a replica)

Engine bulkhead over passenger knee well-riveted aluminum plate -serial No. 28965CC (Looks kinda old and worn)

Engine block tab at top, drivers side- CC4195E

[/ QUOTE ]Hmmm, I'd have expected a 1969 TR6 commission number plate to be under the hood on the LH wheelarch, not on the LH side "B" (door latch) post. Regardless, your commission number is consistent with 1969 model year production, and the body number (they basically never match comm. nos.) is close enough for me to assume that it is original.

I confess that I don't know enough about early TR6 engines to know if they were numbered beginning with CC 1 E or CC 25001 E. But the car is roughly #3932 of carbureted TR6 production, so an engine number of 4195 is about right (again, engine numbers don't "match" either comm. or body numbers; rather, they tend to run a few hundred higher).

bcouz

Freshman Member
Intake/Exhaust Manifold Gasket

Hi All,
I have a header on my '71 TR-6 and keep blowing out the standard fiber gaskets. I know they make a heavy duty gasket for the later TRs but I can't find one for my car. Does anyone know where I can get one or have an idea on how to make the ones I have last longer?
Thanks

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Re: Intake/Exhaust Manifold Gasket

Where did that come from??

OP
G

[ QUOTE ]

I have a header on my '71 TR-6 and keep blowing out the standard fiber gaskets.

[/ QUOTE ]

From what you are describing as a "standard fiber gasket" sounds like you are indeed using what the vendors refer to as a header gasket . And you will blow these out on a regular basis. They usually are a pale yellow or white color and look like they are made from recycled Dixie cups, which they might be. You really should be using a stock metallic style gasket for your header. That said, a stock gasket will only work well if your header has been faced and fits extremely well against your head, with no warpage. The reason they market "header gaskets" is most if not all aftermarket headers, even the pricey ones, often fit poorly against the head and don't seal well . Many good muffler shops have the ability to face or flatten the mating surface of the header. I use a little copper spray on my stock exhaust gasket before seating it onto the head.

Bill

KenASh

Freshman Member
Country flag

Hi,

In situations like this, I have "draw" filed the face of the header to insure it is as perfectly flat as possible. After which, in some cases, I have mounted the header using two stock manifold gaskets without any sealers. Using two gaskets is a matter of how flat you can make the surface by flat filing,hence the term "draw". This is the practice we used in our SCCA racing days.
Good luck with this.

Ken Ash..
Severna Park, Md

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Summit Point?