• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR2 Coil choices

2long

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I'm looking to replace my coil, for my original TR2 distributor set up. TRF has a Lucas coil, a Lucas Sport coil, and a Petronix coil that looks like it involves a conversion kit. I recall some concerns that new coils are hit and miss, but if anyone has recent experience I would appreciate it. I want to keep things as stock as possible, so I am not inclined to do a conversion. Same question for replacement condenser and ignition parts - what is the best quality one to use? I have some old NOS lucas items, but I would like some input on the the quality of TRF or Moss replacement parts.

Dan

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I got a Lucas Sports coil from TRF at the 2009 Triumphest, that lasted less than a year. Not fun, especially since it died while I was on the freeway in rush hour traffic on my way to a TR club meeting. I grabbed a 1.5 ohm Pertronix coil that I had on hand (for a Stag) and used that with an external ballast resistor for several years. That worked fine, but I eventually bought a 3 ohm Pertronix coil which is what's on there now, just to clean up the temporary resistor installation. (It also works fine, so far at least.)

If you have an original type coil wire, you'll need to change it to a plug-in type terminal for the Pertronix, instead of the original screw-in. Easy enough to do, just cut off the original tip of the wire (saving the brass washer that is soldered to the wire), and remove the nut. Any parts store can sell you a clip & boot to fit the new coil (if they didn't come with it). Slide the boot on, then strip roughly 1/8" of the insulation, fold the center conductor over and install the clip.

The Pertronix already had screw terminals for the low tension connections, so just undo the nuts, remove the quick connects and drop the ring terminals into place.

It's also slightly smaller diameter than the original, so I used a section of aluminum beer can as a spacer. The thin aluminum cut easily with my pocket knife, so that was trivial.

Don't be too surprised if 3 ohm coils are hard to find in the local stores. I didn't bother looking this time, but years ago I checked several places and no one had them. Practically all American cars used external ballast resistors and 1.5 ohm coils. Also be careful about the "12 volt" designation, as some 1.5 ohm coils are marked "12 volt, ballast required". You can certainly use one of them, but you'll want to be sure to supply the ballast it needs (otherwise the points will burn up in just a few hundred miles BTDT). The store should have the ballast, but they may not know what it is. If not, ask for the ballast resistor for a 66 Dodge Dart with a 225 slant six :smile:

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I too had a couple of Lucas Sport coil failures some years back - but more recent ones have lasted for several years now on the TRs. The fails had a white top on a gold case. The more recent ones have a black top on a gold case.

No, I don't think the color of the top was the problem
wink-new.png
but if you get one with a black top it is likely a newer manufacture than one with a white top.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I found an old photo : The one that failed for me had a black top and gold case.

Attachments

• DSCF0005_crop.jpg
    DSCF0005_crop.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 81

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
So much for color as an indicator... unless you can find one with the terra cotta top and Buck Rogers/Art Deco design.

Sport%20Coil_zpsbsh5vj60.jpg

That one is 42 years old and still working well (knock wood).