• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tom's new SLBC [Sorta Little British Car] !

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks Paul. My clutch leg may be dodgy, but at least I'll keep some British blood - at least when I'm trying to change the oil!

catfood

Jedi Knight
I was offered a lift in a Super Snipe by an acquaintance while at university. Doing 80 (it was only 70, honest officer) down the motorway the throttle cable snapped and the throttle jammed fully open. No problem says the slightly worried looking driver, I'll turn the ignition off. Car slows, sighs of relief all around, discussions about where to get new underpants ensue when there is a loud clunk as we take a gentle curve as we hit around 60. Who knew cars that old had steering locks....

So driver turns the ignition back on to release the steering lock. Throttle still jammed fully open. No problem says the slightly worried looking driver, I'll turn the ignition off.......:scared:

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Congratulations, glad you got the deal done. If you do decide to go to B.C., keep track of these guys, Old English Car Club https://www.oecc.ca/ They have quite a few events, I've had my TR4 up to three of their shows in Victoria. Nice group to hang with.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Congratulations Tom. She is a beauty, happy motoring.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
You're quick on the trigger. As soon as I posted it, I realized I forgot to include the link. Couldn't have been more than 10 seconds before it was edited!

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
I know that car! Heck that first photo might be mine, or I at least have a similar photo to it, actually I would have probably waited for the trunk lid to be closed... :hammer:

The story on that car, I assume you purchased it from Mike A? Back in 2001 or 2002 he had just finished a beautiful restoration on a 1951 Ford Prefect (original, including the puny engine), and it was the only collector car they owned... When on club driving tours the poor Prefect just couldn't keep up, I remember on one hill - that wasn't that steep, but steep enough for a Prefect - it took them ages! He told me that he loved touring with the Prefect on back roads but wanted a little more power for other times, like club driving tours, so he purchased that Humber, and still kept the Prefect as well...

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Yep - that's my car. Mike and Dawn now live near Toronto - wonderful people. They got that Humber from a gentleman named Carl Juditsky (sp)?; wish I could find him and learn more of the car's history.

Mike and Dawn still have the Prefect, and only decided to sell the Humber because they're wanting to down size. They're keeping the Humber safe and warm for me until spring, when I'll come up and drive it to its new home. Don't tell Dawn, but I changed its name from Henry to Winston.

If you have any other photos of the car I'd sure appreciate seeing them.

And Happy New Year to you!

Tom

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Where in CT are you? I'd like to see that Humber when you get it. I'll be in Florida for 3 months, then back in Stamford.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I'm in eastern Connecticut, near Putnam. Probably won't have the Humber until April or May, so give me a shout then.

Tom

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Putnam. Used to go through there when we raced at Thompson many years ago. Almost 4 hours from Stamford then, a bit less now. About as far away as you can get from Stamford and still be in CT. Have a good winter. Hope you don't get much snow...

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I'm really looking forward to hearing about your adventure driving the Humber down from Canada. I made a 24 hour, non-stop ride to Canada and back to collect my A35....very memorable.

Putnam. Used to go through there when we raced at Thompson many years ago....

And not to hijack this thread too much, but Thompson has re-opened and we are racing there again.

Info:

June 18-21, 2015: The Vintage Motorsports Festival at Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park - Thompson, Ct Co-Sanctioned with the VSCCA Event Chairmen: Paul King, Chairman, and Paul Bova, Co-Chairman, Tel: 508-847-4809 Email: paulking@vrgonline.org

Link to photos and videos from the 2014 vintage races at Thompson

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
"I'm really looking forward to hearing about your adventure driving the Humber down from Canada. I made a 24 hour, non-stop ride to Canada and back to collect my A35....very memorable."

I'm taking that as a spur to another web journal!

By the way ... how "very memorable" was your A35 trip? Inquiring minds want to know!