Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
I'm in the original tire size camp. I have wider 195s I've used on the TR4, yes not bad - but I'm not trying to turn the car into a modern racer so I don't see much point in going for too aggressive a tire. If I ever catch the bug bad, I'm going to pick up a cheap Miata and mod the heck out of it. Or maybe get more serious and grab an S2000.
I don't think one has to drive aggressively to benefit from a bigger patch of rubber on the road: braking, for example. I think it's simply a matter of safety. Why go with 4.5"-width wheels and narrow tires when one has 5.5"-width wheels and can therefore use a wider tire? My car came with 5.5" wheels and I am replacing them with 5.5" chrome wire wheels, so I will put on the same size 195/65/15s as came with the car but brand new Michelins instead of aging Sumitomos. I'll drive with a lot more confidence in my tires and know that it won't be the tires that will keep me from stopping in time in a panic stop nor will I have to worry about a blowout from old tires, so it's a no-brainer for me to go wide.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.