• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Time for an MGF

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Just got a notice that I have 256,000+ Delta Sky Miles....so, a trip to the UK & Ireland is in the planning stage for this summer....I've got lots of parts I want to find....& maybe its time to bring an MGF back...

Anybody in the UK know where we can find a LHD with factory hardtop? & anybody know where we can pull the drivetrain & still be able to still move the rest of the body to a shipping container?

Wow... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
You may want to go on the continent for an LHD, cars are traditionally cheaper in Belgium than UK.
BTW I'm very jealous! Good luck hunting.

Country flag
Did a quick search on e-bay UK, turned up 222 MGFs, I then modified the search to include "LHD" and got nothing.

If you really want a LHD one you'll find far more on the continent.

Maybe you could try a dealer in one of the big ports- Rotterdam, Hamburg, Antwerp, etc. that could pull it apart as you require- I presume you won't have the equipment to do-it-yourself.

An alternative would be to find one in a car-breakers yard that's had the engine/transmission pulled and make your own "kit" with that as a basis. But I'd think such cars would be in rougher condition than whole ones....

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
We'll also be hitting the continent...problem there is disassembly..guess I could buy it there, drive back to the UK & didsassemble/ship

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Tony, that's outside your collection mission statement.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
How do you go to UK ebay or any other ebay?

I figured an RV8 would be more your style Tony.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Would love one, Kenny - but LHD's in them are more scarce than hen's teeth! Not really sure if I want an MGF but need to start looking so I can act if I decide to.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And here I really thought Tony was going to get a clasic delivery truck of some sort to make his post office runs.

Steve_S

Yoda
Ain't nothin' wrong with RHD. Gets a lot of attention, that's fer sure. I actually prefer RHD in many ways, although it does have drawbacks as well.

An MGF won't attract much attention on the road unless a person happens to realize it isn't a car offered in the US. But a RHD car of any sort will stand out as a European car! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hey, Tony -

How 'bout south of the border? Might be a cheaper deal.

By the way, I'm still planning a trip to Honduras this coming summer.

Mickey

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I've been the Mexico route - they can't sell to a US citizen....& there has to be a bond equal to the value of the car left at the border when it comes across to ensure it goes back.

Mickey, Jerri says we're going with you!

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Mickey, Jerri says we're going with you!

[/ QUOTE ]

Great! We'll talk dates soon.

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I've been the Mexico route - they can't sell to a US citizen

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious, can they sell to a non-US citizen?