• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Time for a Battery, what ya got?

TR3pilot

Country flag
I had been using a borrowed battery but now time to go get a new battery for my '61 TR3. I'd like to get it in Costco if possible because of the great return/warranty situation there but am open to all ideas of where/which one to get one. Do you guys use a group 24 or 27 in yours?

Thanks

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
[FONT=&quot]NAPA[/FONT][FONT=&quot] “Sure Start 65” Model 5024[/FONT]. It's a group 24. $79 in 2010. The nice part is it is a simple black plastic case which you can easily peel all the stickers off of.

Bob

6TTR3A

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
To me, orientation and configuration are the important factors. I started out with the aftermarket battery box.
Trimmed the back lip so the body number plate is visible. I wanted the posts at the back corners with the
negative post to the left. I wanted the water access holes as far away from the back as possible. I got a
bonus with this battery - The access holes are sealed, and a breather pipe is at the side of the battery pointing
down into the battery box. On the unlikely chance of a boil-over, the acid goes into the battery box instead
of on the paint. In order to get everything I wanted, I had to settle for a group 24.

Attachments

• Battery.jpg
    Battery.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 127

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I used a locally available AGM style battery in my 56. Bit more expensive but I like idea of no spills. Cheers, Mike

Lant_5.JPG

Last edited:

Vila

Jedi Hopeful
Mike, did you need to adjust your generator control box for the AGM battery? When I had a sailboat 15 years ago, the high tech alternator regulators had a switch to select between Lead Acid, Gel and AGM batteries, and if I remember correctly the AGM batteries require a lower charging voltage.

I just got a new battery for my TR4 two weeks ago. The restoration is almost complete and it was time to start the engine for the first time.

I have never been to this store before, but I got a group 24 EXIDE battery from Batteries Plus Bulbs for $71 including 6% tax and after taking the core return off the cost.

I specifically wanted a battery with a totally flat top since I got one of those fake battery tar toppers from https://www.tartopper.com and this battery was one of the ones that fit the bill. I believe the Topper cost $20. Another battery that would have fit the bill was a NAPA.

I used a wood plane to remove the modern style mounting tabs on the sides of the battery near the bottom, took the plastic lifting strap off and did the same with the strap mounting tabs. With the topper on it looks exactly like a period tar top battery and it beats the $300 cost of a reproduction tar top battery.

I was originally going to get a group 27 battery, but the tar toppers only come in group 24 size. The fake tar topper caps don't come in black like the original Lucas batteries supposedly had so I went with red to match the cars seat color.

Visit my new and improved personal website at: www.jakegingervila.wix.com/bobs-vintage-cars-

Vila
1933 Chevrolet
1962 Triumph TR4
1984 BMW 633 CSi

Mark

Freshman Member
I just bought a new battery from Costco for my '64 TR4. I replaced the Interstate battery (#34) with a Costco battery. I was surprised the Costco guy looked up my car and FOUND it in his book. The new battery, I was informed, is built for Costco by . . . Interstate! The new battery is dimensionally identical to my old battery. It has lead posts in the same orientation as the old Interstate. The main difference is the CCA (cold Cranking Amps) between my old Interstate and the new Costco (Kirkland brand). The old Interstate battery was rated at about 775 CCA and the Costco brand delivers 1,000 CCA!! But it works and it comes with at least a three-year replacement warranty. Cool!!

Vaark01

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I have an Optima with a tar topper cover. Everyone who looks at the engine believes it is a real vintage battery.

Paul

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
So many choices... I don't expect to fool anyone who is really paying attention but here is my Wal*Mart battery sans original labels and with a set of caps substituted for the 3-hole bar-type caps it came with:

Battery.jpg

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
What is a tar topper cover?

Bo_Bogaty

Freshman Member
Country flag
I also went with an Optima, but made a cover the size of a group 27 battery. The only problem is the location of the postDSC01672.jpg.

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Wondered about using the AGM with generator, but I asked on a couple of forums and consensus was it should be OK. Not in service long enough to know for sure, but so far so good. Cheers, Mike

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The new battery, I was informed, is built for Costco by . . . Interstate!

My previous Costco battery lasted almost 9 years in my TR3. When I replaced it last year, it was supplied by Johnson Controls; can't remember if it's a 24 or 27. I use it positive ground.

Very happy with Costco batteries and service.